Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathe Vox 16mm

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the 9.5 forum simply because the Vox is a 9.5mm projector and I presume most Pathe enthusiasts are likely to check in on this subforum than the 16mm one, so I hope this is okay.

I now have a number of Pathe Vox projectors and I am gradually working my way through restoring them back into working condition. So far I have a standard Vox and now I have just finished my first Super Vox which I have also built a replacement valve amplifier for. I currently have two more Super Vox projectors to restore.

One example I would like to source is the 16mm version of the Pathe Vox. I know a few examples exist in France and after reading some pre-war Pathe literature it looks like the same was also offered in the UK around 1938 but I have not seen one here yet. Has anybody seen, own or know of any examples that exist? If any collector here in the UK or overseas can assist with sourcing one then that would be great, it would be a nice addition to my Pathe talkie collection which also includes two Sons, two 16mm Rurals and a 200B with add on sound unit.

I have never seen or heard of any in all my years. Are you sure you are not confusing it with the Pathe Debrie, B.I.F. Projector which was the forerunner of the Cinetechnic Debrie.

Comment

I have just noticed your mention of 16mm rurally. I thought these were only made for 17.5mm.

Comment

Hi Ken,

they certainly do exist, see here:

https://www.cinematheque.fr/fr/catal...p-95-1523.html

I doubt they we're very popular. In a 1938 UK Pathescope catalogue the 16mm version is offered at a price of £85. Both examples I have seen were in France, the linked one above being one and another appeared on ebay a few years ago. I do have a film gate panel from one of these 16mm Vox machines but that's all I have.

Comment

As for the Rurals, a lot of the sound examples were converted to 16mm during the German occupation of France and some even soldiered on until the early 1950s.

Comment

Hi Bren. None of the 16mm versions of the projectors you mention were ever imported to the U K. and obviously there was no contact with Pathe in France throughout the war years. However, having consulted my old friend Gerald McKee’s book The Home Cinema, it appears that Hatton Cine, produced what they called the Hatton 16mm Supersound, which was basically a cheeky copy of the VOX. It is a very good book to try to obtain vigorous anyone interested in home cinema projectors from 1922 to 1940 .

Comment

Hi Ken

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that no 16mm Vox machines were ever imported especially as they're listed in the UK Pathescope catalogue but it makes sense as I've never seen an example here, both I know of are in France. I know of the Hatton Supersound, they're probably even more rare than a 16mm Vox! I've never tracked down an existing example, it would be interesting to see one.

I would like to find an example of the 16mm Vox, it would be great to find some French collectors who may be able to help me track one down.

Comment

Working...
              X