Amazing Pathe Baby Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Pathe Baby Restoration

Now THIS is the way to restore a Pathe Baby!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWe-uwWi4rU

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
    Now THIS is the way to restore a Pathe Baby!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWe-uwWi4rU
    Actually, while I feel like the guy is obviously a talented fabricator I don't really like this type of restoration where he at times destroys parts of it and just creates brand new pieces. I have watched a number of the restorations on this channel and some are even worse where he throws away all the screws , etc and basically just creates a "new" item that looks the same. I wish he could just hold back on some aspects like maybe the powder blasting that removes all of the original decal, etc.

Comment

Hi Dino. I totally understand your position. I would say however, that if it was necessary to make new identical parts to get the machine in perfect working order, then that would be more preferable than a non- working original parts machine.
      That Pathe decal puzzles me. My Pathe Baby has a beautiful bronze decal on the side of the projector. I have never seen that stick-on decal before, and I think it detracts from the appearance of the projector.

Comment

The earlier models have the decal on the front.

Comment

It would appear that it was in such dreadfull condition that he had no alternative. It was difficult to see from the video which particular model he has. There were a number of minor changes over the years it was produced. In most cases, apart from flaking paint and chromium plating, it is the shutter that needs to be replaced as it is made of Mazak which distorts and disintegrates over time.

Comment

To my taste he puts too much emphasis on appearance and somewhat too little on function. I​d have left the patina with the housing parts but worked differently on bearings, shafts, gears, and cams. Also lubrication is not the best. On the other hand he takes well care of everything electrical, no criticism there.

A camera housing can be polished shiny while the mechanism inside is aching and longing for correct lubrication. It​s a decision between objective and subjective values.

Comment

Working...
            X