Ozone generation from 9,5mm projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozone generation from 9,5mm projectors

Whenever i operate my Pathe Baby I get a strong whiff of ozone coming from the motor. It really is objectionable and is surely not good for your lungs. Is this common with old motorized Pathe projectors? In any case I am looking for a modern substitute motor for my Pathe Baby. Has anyone on the forum found a good substitute motor?

I find using brushed motors of any type, affects my eyes, and quite quickly too.

But your right Paul when strong it can damage lung tissue.

I`m not sure how big scale Train enthusiasts cope.

So I tend to stick most of the time to an Asynchronus motor or Non Brushed DC ones where I can.

I really struggled on and off with older brushed std 8 machines when I got in to films 35 odd years ago.

But ended up with a Zeiss Icon Movilux that was not brushed and Bolexs too.

A few years ago if I used any brushed projector at all it put white fish on my neighbours TV picture and took the sound off !!!

I did`nt realise I was causing havoc for quite a while !!!

Not an issue now thankfully as all online tv now in the small 4 houses row.

But yes some machines really do give it out, and its not too handy.

If you or any family member`s have Asthma or similar its better not use any brushed motor machine of course.

Hope you find a suitable motor for the Pathe Paul

Best Wishes Mark.

Comment

I have used electrical equipment for most of my life without any problems and they were have mostly contained brush motors or dynamos. Yes, some do cause problems with radio and TV if not fitted with suppressors or the commutators kept clean. It is the sparking that causes the problem and the ozone smell. This can be prevented by making sure the gaps on the commutator are kept clean of carbon dust deposits. Another little tip my Dad taught me. Many older projectors have brush motors of all gages use them and on 9.5 these include The PAX, 200b and Specto machines which I have used extensively for over 70 years without any problems personally or to anyone else including people I know who have respiratory problems who have attended my shows.

Comment

I never knew you could smell ozone. What does it smell like?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Paterson View Post
          I never knew you could smell ozone. What does it smell like?
          i believe, it smells like bleach.

Comment

People used to say that the seaside smelt like ozone. I don't know if it was due to seaweed. Both are rather pungent smells.

Comment

Ozone is generated where electric discharge takes place, with every lightning, between the contacts of motor commutators, switches, spark plugs, corona appliances, open-air arc lamps, and more such. What can be smelled with older equipment is mostly not ozone but aromatic volatile compounds emitted by phenolic resin soaked or pressed insulating materials when warmed. Old grease (the oily components) can also stink.

Comment

Working...
              X