No announcement yet.

Much improved result with telecine and Perceptol developing of expired Ferrania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much improved result with telecine and Perceptol developing of expired Ferrania

I'm finally making real progress with the "difficult" Ferrania expired negative film. Early results were dreadfully grainy, but with the latest result - video link below - grain is not an issue at all.

The film was the first test of my 'new' Pathe Baby camera with Camo motor drive, as recommended by Simon here ;-) It's a beauty, and a bargain I think, in such good condition, with charger, for £45 + £15 postage. And it comes with the Zeiss lens too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camo2w.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1155

Name:	camo3w.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1154

Name:	camo1w.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1153

Here's the workflow I've settled on so far:
    1) 13 feet up to 30 feet of film needs 2 litres of developer at least to bucket develop without squeezing the film too much to keep it covered in the chemicals
    2) Use the fine grained developer Perceptol, stock solution, not 1+3. Stock gives better contrast and less grain
    3) Over-expose when filming by a stop or more, as stock solution Perceptol reduces film speed by a stop
    4) Expose even more than 1 stop, as overexposure reduces grain further
    5) When doing the telecine, overexpose the digital image. This produces deeper dark tones and less grain when inverted.

Here's a couple of example frames. These are dark negatives in reality, but overexposed when being digitised.

Click image for larger version  Name:	camo1w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	1148A
    Click image for larger version  Name:	camo2w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	1149

And here's the final result. Around 550 frames on a 13 foot length of film. I've probably gone too far with the dark tones and the contrast, but it's good to know it can be done this way if necessary in future. Filmed along Sawbridgeworth canal, UK

https://youtu.be/8Z1DmOacdq4
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Iain Petrie; December 16, 2019, 02:13 PM.

Looks good. How much out of date was the film?

Comment

Thanks Brian, nobody is sure, as it was a mystery buy off ebay. The best bet is 1960s, but it's odd that it's negative film. It came in 3 x 1000 feet in square tins, with Ferrania handwritten on them. The seller got them at auction so couldn't add anything further

Comment

Iain have you experimented in getting a Reversal / Positive image from this old Ferrania 9.5mm Film for Projection, or has anyone successfully done this ?

Comment

Working...
        X