Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found amateur film, late 1940s, telecine result. Part 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found amateur film, late 1940s, telecine result. Part 4.

Around 2600 individually photographed frames from a found 9.5mm amateur film. Lots of fascinating clips to see here, starting with Bath, and many other scenes, some quite odd (spider on a lady's leg!) The final part, to be processed soon, has a title page with 1949 on it in the final section. This film is made up of dozens of separate pieces taken over a long period of time, perhaps years, so we can date this to mid / late 1940s. As you can see here, some of the film is Pathe Paris PSP 9 stock , and some is Gevaert. The blurry parts are due to defects in the original filming, not the telecine process, which is getting better each time!
    Some sections were so dark nothing could be seen even against a bright light, but with long exposures of 1 second + the images revealed themselves.

The film:
    https://youtu.be/_aTHXP-l1Xg

Some fine telecine work here Iain! Even these old problematic 9,5mm pictures show a degree of sharpness and contrast superiority to the super 8mm format

Comment

Thanks Paul! Yes, the individual still frames often look good enough to print as photos. I haven't tried it yet but the good ones look great on even a large monitor. A nice aspect about doing the telecine, apart from the challenge, and being able to recover very damaged film and very under or overexposed film, is being able to show the whole frame including the parts of the image around the sprocket hole. Some cameras seem to crop the frame size down to the edges of the hole whereas others use almost the whole width and height of the frame, with almost no space between adjoining frames, to give virtually a square format.

Comment

Part of it towards the end looks a bit like Liverpool.

Comment

I wonder. The only parts I've been able to ID so far have been in the south, but it's a collection of many different films over a long time so it could well be.

Comment

Working...
          X