Results from developing 1940s (?) film in sealed P Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from developing 1940s (?) film in sealed P Charger

I bought this sealed charger off Etsy this week. The seller obviously had no idea of age or condition of the film inside, but I thought it was such an exciting idea to try to develop whatever was in it that I took a chance at £20 +£2 postage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191218_124158_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	1243
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191218_124208_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	1244

It's a P style charger, and I read that these were introduced in 1927 and superseded by the H charger in 1937. The film could be much later than that of course, but it could easily be from, say, the 1940s.
    It was very hard to open it, (yes, in the dark ;-) even after the seal was broken and inside was a very full chamber of film. In fact it was so packed with film it was difficult to actually get any out. I clipped off 2 sections and developed one in stock Perceptol and the other in coffee (Caffenol C-M) with iodised salt to address fogging. I've had success developing glass plates from the 1920s in coffee so it seemed a good place to start.

The results: oh dear. I try to be brave but a little bit of me dies inside when I pull out a failed piece of film from the fixer.

The Perceptol clip had no sign of any images, just blotchy thick dark fog. The Caffenol clip looked the same, but looking closer, there seemed to be vague shapes in some areas, so I developed another section, and this time there are faint images to be seen. I don't know if it's negative film which would be turned positive during development, or reversal film but here it is reversed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ffow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	1245

I'll be experimenting further with different developers and methods but it seems reasonable to hope there are better images to be had from this. It would be a cruel trick if these few frames are the best from 50+ feet!

I'll update here as improved results appear, but for now here's the best frame of the lot. Intriguing...

Click image for larger version  Name:	ff1i.png Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	1246
    Last edited by Iain Petrie; December 19, 2019, 06:11 AM.

Impressed by your devotion to times passed, your hope for a find—I don’t give a damn about old stock found in cameras. It wasn’t used then, so let it go. Maybe have too many old foggy rolls developed for money. No one would say thanks. Have found middle-format negatives with a camera once. Should prints have been made? For whom? Somebody did not care for the stuff although people were portraied. How did Mick Jagger sing: . . . it’s all over now.

For ciné films I’d recommend the classical formulae, the bromide content raised. Constant agitation

Comment

I have potassium bromide and I've tried adding 1 g to a litre of developer but it seems to stop the developer working altogether. I must be doing something wrong...
      anyway, I did another section of film tonight using iodised salt again as a substitute for bromide but only got fog again. I suspect this film is "past it". I've spent 3 evenings now (and the £22!) on this with no decent result so I can understand why people wouldn't bother with this, but I still find the idea of seeing an image captured many decades ago but never seen by anyone before quite fascinating. And I always wonder why the film was never developed. Interesting about constant agitation, I'll give that a try too.

Comment

Working...
      X