First light with French made, Camex Ercsam GS 9.5mm camera c1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First light with French made, Camex Ercsam GS 9.5mm camera c1947

You know as soon as you hold it, that this is a quality camera, and it becomes even more apparent when you look at the features, including 4 speeds, single shot and focusing down to 0.5m. And when you turn on the clockwork motor it purrs beautifully.
    It hadn't been used with film for many decades, but after a clean up it shone like new and was ready for a test:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gs 1w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	1418

Click image for larger version  Name:	gs 2w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	1419

The charger is unique to the Ercsam, and has a very clever design feature, which is that the back pressure plate is built into it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gs3w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	1420

I loaded about 12 feet of the expired Ferrania negative film into it and shot it in Old Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Developing, as usual, was done in a bucket of stock strength Perceptol, for 9 minutes + 10% as it was the second use of the developer.
    There was the weakest of winter sunshine, which mostly disappeared behind haze and cloud, but the lens is very fast, a Cinor C, f/1.9, so the 6 ASA film was just usable with the 1/32nd of a second shutter, and a fully open aperture.
    The first section, showing the pub, was shot at 32 frames per second, another section ( I forget which...) at 8th second, and the rest at standard 1/16th second.

The final "talking head" test is me holding the camera at arm's length. I set the focus at its closest point, and luckily it turns out my arm is exactly 0.5m long so the focus is spot on. Everything looks sharp, and this was with the most challenging of light conditions, so it will be interesting to see how it performs on a brighter day with smaller apertures.

The only small issue is that the camera stops working if you take more than 2 consecutive single shots. I don't know why, but popping open the camera and moving the charger resets everything back to normal

I did 2 versions of the Telecine, one more exposed than the other. The difference between the 2 is remarkable. The top part (with inverted and original frame) was exposed for a longer time when photographing with the DSLR in the telecine, the bottom part is the same frame, but exposed for less time. The cropped sections next to the frames show that the longer exposure gives a far sharper final image. Again, I'm not really sure why:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hat1w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.9 KB ID:	1421
    And the final video:

https://youtu.be/eGjQCnBhJNM

Thanks for those wonderful reports of the tests you're making. I wish I could process films as you do !

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement Dominique!

Comment

Fantastic, I love this type of post!. I used to process my own Ferrania Standard 8 films back in the 1960s so I find this extremely interesting. Well done Iain.

Comment

Thank you too Leonard! I'm very new at this but having a lot of fun. Lots more to come in 2020, basically until the stock runs out

Comment

Look forward to seeing more results and videos Iain. Best wishes for Christmas and 2020. Len.

Comment

The Camex is not the worst camera around. I have published an article about it with pictures almost six years ago. https://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/topic/...ckte-wahrheit/

Comment

That's a great article Simon. Fascinating to see so much internal detail described.

Comment

I have the same camera. My film (excerpt) 1960 Oran Algeria with my family

Comment

Very nice. Even at low resolution it's obviously far better quality than 8mm!

Comment

Great to see the Camex working again I have one but no film yet. Nice bit of camera work, amazed at the results from old film stock, what was the process by date. Looking at some colour and black and white reversal film expired 1961. Thanks for sharing and well done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_467.png
Views:	189
Size:	854.9 KB
ID:	1796

Comment

Thank you Carl, yours looks in great condition too, hope you get to use it again. Re the film: it was a mystery buy off ebay but the best bet is 1960s. Presumably, as it's negative film, it was for professional use, maybe for printing commercial film. It came in these 3 square tins, with a thousand feet in each. Nice! There's no fogging with it, so it must have been well stored. It's only the grain that's an issue.

Name:	95d.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1818

Name:	95b.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1817

Comment

Working...