Out of this World feature film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of this World feature film

I have this sound feature listed on eBay but the title is missing. The title is written on the reels and the credits appear to support the title (images of performers floating up into the sky). It is a variety of nightclub/cabaret acts. Strangely not listed on Grahame Newnhams site, but the Pathescope logo is at the end. Does anyone have this film or know of it?

Terry
    An interesting question. I can't find your eBay listing. How many reels is it?
    Can you also give some idea of the musical acts?
    Pathescope didn't issue many musical features, but they also removed many musical numbers from their features and issued them as shorts. Maybe your film may be made up this way.

Maurice

Comment

Hello Maurice
      yes sorry I ended it while trying to find out more about this title. It comes on two 900' reels (b/w of course) and includes many different acts ranging from musical, singing, dancing, acrobatic, tap dancing, comedy etc. I'm pretty certain that the title is correct. As previously stated images of the performers floating upwards into the sky and the song 'Out of thisWorld' included in the film. I can't find any info on it and it's not included on Pathescope listings, so I'm wondering if it's something of a rarity. I know that you are very good at researching stuff like this so I was hoping you would come up with some answers. I have a 1955 Pathescope film catalogue and it's not listed in that and nothing in Grahame Newnhams listings either. Could it be a film release after 1955?
      Terry

Comment

Terry

As you may know, I have Maurice Trace's 9.5mm sound book, and the new 9.5mm Pathescope encyclopaedia. Neither has come up with any details of your film. I have many 9.5mm sound musicals and none fit the bill.

I have just spoken to Patrick Moules (who was responsible for the Encyclopaedia) and. he too, is at a loss as to this film. He did say that in the 50s many 9.5mm sound films were offered as split from 16mm, but never a full feature.

Does the film have a join at every new musical number? Would you say it's a complete film or perhaps a composite? I know it's a lot of trouble, but a complete run-down of the musical numbers by name/artist will also help a lot.

If you can say from whom you originally bought the film may also help in some way.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice
          Definitely not a compilation because the individual acts are introduced, usually by the Orchestra conductor. Also the film credits list the performers. As for who I bought it from, I cannot remember. It was many years ago..
          I will go through the credits and get back to you with artists/performers.

Comment

Hello Maurice
            these are some of the credits although I fear some are missing along with the title.

Parky Akarkus
            Donald MacBride
            Florence Bates
            The Glamourette Quartette - Olga San Juan,Nancy Porter, Audrey Young, Carol Deere.
            Gary Phillip Dennis & Lin Crosby
            The Piano Maestros - Carmen Cavallaro, Ted Fiorito, Henry King, Ray Noble, Joe Reichman.

Screen Play - Walter DeLeon & Arthur Phillips

Based on stories by Elizabeth Meehan & Sam Coslow

Associate Producer - Sam Coslow

Directed by Hal Walker.

This was my eBay listing:
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333689604084
            Last edited by Terry Sills; August 19, 2020, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Terry
              Here it is.
              https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037964...=nm_flmg_dr_11
              An American film from 1945. Nothing to do with Pathescope.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks. I also have been contacted by Maurice Trace who thinks it maybe a reperf from 16mm. He also believes it not to be a Pathescope release but the Pathescope logo has not been spliced on. There is a fade out and then 'This is a Pathescope film' appears.

Comment

It was a well known fact that the late Larry Pearce of LGP Cine reperforated 16mm silent films for sale as 9.5mm releases.

But I'm not suggesting that he was responsible for this film. Providing you had the necessary splitting and reperforating equipment the transfer was relatively simple, but 16mm sound to 9.5mm sound probably would need an inter-negative as the 9.5mm sound track is on the other side of the 16mm film. This would also explain why the Pathescope logo at the end does not have a join to the rest of the film.

http://www.pathefilm.uk/95flmcat/95flmcatlgp.htm

Maurice

Comment

Maurice
                    thanks for that. Maurice Trace is also of the same opinion that it is a reperf, but what I don't understand is why they would have added the Pathescope logo at the end. If it was originally a 16mm print then it would not have been a Pathescope film.

Comment

Probably to hide the print's origins as , also, its main title is also missing which might have had some reference to Paramount.

Maurice

Comment

Plenty of 16mm re perfs around the problem being titles usually are missing due to the need to flip the prints as sound track on wrong side to read.
                        Have some nice re perforated films off Larry ftom years ago mostly colour general interest stuff and they look great. Best ones I have are BTF inparticular Yorkshire Sands 1955. Other shorts, Derann Ukelele Man and a Frank Randle comedy short all great fun.
                        Also plenty of LGP 9.5 contact sound prints still around you can spot these by the frame line.

Comment

Interesting this. I have wondered if this is a rare Pathescope Test Print of a film they hoped to release but maybe there was problems due to copyright or simply that they went bust at the time, that this release never happened but this rare print got out in the hands of collectors.

Just my thoughts. As for the missing titles possibly they got damaged are were simply cut off.

Graham S

Comment

Working...
                          X