9.5mm conversion from 16mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.5mm conversion from 16mm

I am wondering how easy it is or hard to convert a 16mm projector to 9.5mm.I have been reading here that it has been done.Just curious.Thanks

Yes it is doable as even I did a couple!
    Actually the reason I did the first is that I like to have a annual construction project underway to keep the noodles working. Project solving is great for the brain but also a challenge.

I was inspired by the guy who discovered it was possible to convert a 16mm Elf to 9-5 sound (Not Buckingham) and got to know him quite well back then. We got to see the prototype in the UK way back at a film fair here and although the sound fide had to be perfected it did project 9-5 film. A bit of history.

If you are thinking of having a go you will need a little engineering knowledge of know perhaps a handy model engineer.

As with most things on the Elf machines you can take them apart with a screwdriver, but the hardest thing to do is split the two film drive sprockets off the aluminium retainers that hold them in place. The sprockets will need to be centred with 9-5 film and you need to also adapt the plastic guides for them.

The rest is not a killer of a job but take your time. The sound drum will need turning in metal although I know of a guy who has used nylon blocks to turn down, much simpler to work with but not so long lasting perhaps. Once again you need to move the sound reader and lamp to the correct sound alignment.

In the back of the machine the motor needs tube/pipe spacers as does the claw cam box do centre that in alignment with the film.

A nice job for a model engineer is making the new gate and front pressure plate. Made my first pair from Brass as its soft and easy to work with then had it plated making for a tidy job.

You can copy the spool retainers from any 9-5 projector and adapt the originals.

Off to Church shortly so will add a few more top tips later also some of my drawings for the gate when I get a bit more time.

It is a good project to have a go at Perhaps using and old but working RM machine? Do remember tho that between the various models they altered part dimensions so some are not interchangeable.

I took ages doing my best Slimline Eiki and it works perfectly on most films spending more of properly tooled parts rather than amateur efforts.

Comment

In addition to two Sons and a Vox, I have two Buckinghams, (M1 and RT), and also an Eiki SNT3, the latter also capable of magnetic recording, once owned by a well-known 9.5mm film maker and collector.

Having seen, and also read Lee's comments above, that there is a lot of work that needs to be done for a conversion from 16mm to 9.5mm, it certainly seems to be no work for the faint-hearted, but, of course, Lee has the knowledge and technical abilities to do such a conversion.

It must be wonderful to be able to do such work, and to finally sit alongside a working conversion and watch a Betty Boop cartoon.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
      X