Sofil sound adaptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sofil sound adaptors

There are a good many knowledgeable members here, but has anyone any knowledge of the Sofil 9.5 sound adaptor for use on the Pathescope 200B? and if so did they work well?

Grahame Newnham has some interetsing data on Sofil add-on products. They were Southern Film Services Ltd of Slough, Bucks.
    9.5mm Sound Attachments (pathefilm.uk)
    Around 1950 I bought a sound head and an amplifier for my 9.5mm Specto. It worked very well, but at 24fps the Specto made such a overpowering noise that it made listening to sound films in a small room most unpleasant. So my experiment didn't last long. I went back to hiring all those delightful silent features.

Maurice

Comment

I had one of these fitted to my 200B in the sixties , it was a well engineered bit of kit, and mine had a governor fitted on the motor pulley to give a steady 24fps. The amplifier was quite powerful and sat under the projector in a metal case. It performed well , the 200B not a particularly quiet machine at 16fps was extremely noisy at 24fps, and like Maurice I soon tired of this and sold it on in favour of a Vox, far better projector and so kind on film.
      John

Comment

Yes John, I have a Vox. It's transistorised and re-lamped. Very old, but such a sturdy bit of kit. Damn heavy though, almost impossible to get it out of its case.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
        X