Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telecine of 1920s/30s Pathe Baby cassette. "Jack's Wedding" + goat with a hat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecine of 1920s/30s Pathe Baby cassette. "Jack's Wedding" + goat with a hat!

Here's the DIY telecine result of a closed metal Pathescope cassette, I did this morning. I assume that it's from the late 1920's / early 1930s but I wonder if the patent numbers on the cassette can narrow the date down? The cassette has "Jack's wedding" handwritten on the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pathe Baby 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3172

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pathe Baby 1a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	3171

And here's the final film. Around 1200 frames, individually photographed with Nikon 3100 camera and combined in PowerDirector 10:

https://youtu.be/gZ4Jd-o56sE

Such a frame by frame telecine must have taken a lot of time !

Comment

The image stabilisation is impressive too. I can see the sproket holes and frame line move but the image in the frame is rock steady.

Comment

You are a very patient man Iain

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Goss View Post
          You are a very patient man Iain
          I second Leanard's comment. I don't recall Iain if you have shown us your 9.5mm frame by frame process. I only have a hand-cranked Pathe' Baby. I project onto a mirror and ground glass to do realtime transfers. It's fast...but not as good as frame by frame.

Comment

Great video link Janice, thank you for posting that. Love the men's tall hats!

Comment

Thanks all. Yes, i now manage an impressive one frame every 2 seconds roughly . I cant view the results in real time though, so I'm constantly having to redo the frames due to over or under exposure. Janice, now you've encouraged me to share the telecine in action. I'll video it tomorrow and post here . The Pathe Baby result there is very good!

Comment

Can't wait to see your setup. You've encouraged me to transfer a few more of my little cassettes. The video I posted above actually came with the projector I bought. The quality of the film was very poor with a lot of clouding and fading. I was amazed the transfer came out as good as they did.

Here is a second transfer I did of a commercially produced 60ft. cassette. Image quality was much better on this film.

Comment

That's great Janice. I have some longer reels of 16mm amateur footage from 1939 which I was planning on doing frame by frame telecine but it would be a massive job. Seeing this encourages me to try it projected and recorded instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X