Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telecine of amateur 1930s (?) Pathe Baby closed cassette.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecine of amateur 1930s (?) Pathe Baby closed cassette.

I posted the results of a Pathe Baby closed cassette here recently with the title "Jack's wedding" handwritten on the side, but it turned out to be a social gathering in a garden plus a goat. It's one of 4 cassettes, clearly from the same user or family, and it has some illegible writing on the side, but one word visible: goat!

Either the family was very fond or goats - and the filming of - or they had mixed up the messages, and this one would turn out to be "Jack's Wedding."

I did the telecine on it yesterday, and yes, fortunately it's the wedding, not the goat again. Unfortunately the camera and / or the camera person's skills were sub-optimal: half the film is virtually black, due to an attempt to film the ceremony in a dark church, a lot of it is blurry, due to poor focusing, or the film not fitting correctly in the gate, and he / she liked to swing the camera about quite violently.

And the quality of the very old film is less than perfect too. The hats, car and clothes don't look 1920's to me, more like 1930s, but see what you think. It's still worth seeing, despite the faults, and as always it fascinating to see people "come to life" on screen again after perhaps 80 or 90 years.

The link:

https://youtu.be/jMDvdMN9w28

Yet another triumph!

Comment

It's amazing how the 9.5 film has held up over the year. Another great transfer!

Comment

Late twenties, I’d say. The unisex rectangular clothes design is not yet there. Excellent work, thanks for sharing
        Would you mind adding a second version cropped just beyond the perforation?

Comment

Thanks all. Another one tomorrow or soon. It's quite addictive once you get going! That's good to know Simon, I like to have an idea of how old these are but have very little actual knowledge to go on. I thought I'd identified one reel as 1930s by looking at the cars but as someone pointed out, in the UK during WW2 almost all civilian cars were garaged for the duration, and following the war people didn't have the money to replace them, so 1930s cars were the norm in the late 40s and into the 1950s even. Yes, I'll post a cropped version today.

Comment

I can as well be wrong with my guessing. After a look around I admit it could be as late as 1935.

Comment

Interesting Simon, late 20s/ early 30s fits in with the old Baby cassettes, I suppose. Maybe one of the others from the same set will reveal something more. My attempt at cropping the video caused a computer freeze for some reason, but I'm onto it...

Comment

Here's the cropped version. Simon, if this is not what you meant, let me know!
                https://youtu.be/60muiZi8WpA

Comment

Working...
                X