Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "full length" (25' ;-) film shot with expired Ferrania stock. Could do better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First "full length" (25' ;-) film shot with expired Ferrania stock. Could do better.

I've used a few feet of the Ferrania B&W negative film I bought last month, but only on short experiments to try to work out the ASA and the best developer to use etc, but this is the first attempt with a "full" 25 feet of film in the charger. I shot it in my Pathe B camera in Stamford, Lincolnshire in the low, afternoon sunshine last week. The camera worked fine, I was pleased with the shots, and was hoping for great things, but it all wrong in the developing stage.

I've been experimenting with Rodinal but it produces a very grainy negative. It's supposed to be much better if you dilute it 1:100 and use Stand or Semi-Stand development. I don't have one of those Lomo spiral film holders, so I bucket develop. This has worked well with Caffenol and Kodachrome 16mm film but it didn't go at all well with the 9.5mm. There is still an unacceptable level of grain, and the 1 hour semi-stand developing process (agitation for first 30s, then gentle moving around of the film at 2 mins, 4 mins and 30mins) led to a lack of contrast and a lot of uneven development.

Add to that the suboptimal telecine process (advance each frame by hand with a piece of wire) and you get something that isn't very good at all.

I wasn't going to post it at all but having spent so much time on it, I have to do something with it! Also it may help others trying trying to do something similar, and someone might have advice on how to improve the developing process.
    On the positive side, I learned a lot doing it, and at least it's a benchmark for future improvement. And it's not all bad. I like the section where the camera is moved across the entrance to a narrow walled walkway to a church. And at least it's short! Just under a minute.

Here are a few of the individual frames, showing the quality of the film, before compression (see Edit below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	stamford stills1w.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	380

Name:	stamford 2w.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	381

Name:	Stamford 3w.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	382

EDIT: Sadly putting it on youtube has degraded the film even further. The compression has removed a lot of the grain but replaced it with a lower quality low resolution look. Perhaps it improves over time as it's processed on youtube, or maybe it's my laptop which can't show it properly.

EDIT 2: Interestingly, it's much sharper on my screen if I click on the youtube icon to open in within youtube itself rather than view it embedded here. If anyone wants to try this for themselves to test it out , here's the link to open it in a new window
    https://youtu.be/oeoqKlx44JA
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Iain Petrie; December 05, 2019, 09:24 AM.

Ian, I'm impressed by your détermination. I still wonder why Ferrania manufactured negative filmstock on 9.5 since amateur, as far as I know, only use reversal film (except for titling, so maybe it was the purpose ?). For what it worths, a Dutch lab where I sent 9.5 black and white films for process (as narrated in the former version of this forum) told me that results are erratic without a processing machine.

Comment

Thanks mate. Ah that's interesting and worrying about the quality of the processing. I was hoping the problem is all me rather than anything to do with the film....
      The grain really is bad, which could be due to ageing, though in my experience with expired still camera film, if it's bad enough to show lots of grain there's usually other staining and fogging but that doesn't seem to be the case with this film.
      I tried to develop some in Caffenol C-L, which is good for fine grain they say, but it came out completely clear. I repeated it the next day with the same result. I'll try Perceptol next, which is supposed to be great for fine grain results. I'd love to know the exact history of this film but searches have led nowhere so far. I had a great talk with the seller of the cine Nizo I bought the other day, and he was responsible for importing all the Ferrania 9.5mm film into the UK in the early 60s but he didn't recognise the kind of square cans this came in and wasn't able to shed any light on it.

Comment

So you chatted with Michael Bentley?

Comment

Yes! I only realised after several online discussions that he is THE Michael of Bentley Films. A very nice guy, and it was extremely interesting to hear from him about those days. (For anyone not familiar with the name, attached is a screenshot from Grahame Newman's site) .
          I now have the Cine Nizo camera, and it's a beauty. It's polished up well and seems to be running fine, but we will see, if the sun ever comes out here in gloomy wet grey Cambridgeshire.
          I particularly like the simple claw mechanism on it.
          There are photos of the camera and a short clip of it working, over on my new blog, Central Sprocket Hole Obsessions

Name:	mb.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	769

Comment

Working...
          X