Specto Educational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specto Educational

Hi all,i recently bought some std 8 films and among them were 4 reels of 9.5mm film,so i decided to look for a projector on e-bay.Ive purchased a very nice looking Specto Educational its in its case with instructions,it has had a bulb conversion some time in the 80's and also the electrics look to have been modernised probably at the same time as the bulb conversion i'll know better when it arrives.I was wondering if any of you had one and if there was anything to look out for,known issues etc,i probably should have asked before buying but i'm a bit impulsive probably the main reason why i've so many projectors already anyway thanks in advance for any replys.Russ.

Hi. My lad father was the Specto man on 9.5. He used them projecting films around the villages of Kent ...long story.
    Dads fave was the 500 model which I also like. I put in a transformer from a slide projector to drive a halogen lamp in the 80's all good fun.
    Don't know much about the Educational but I do remember it having a 250w lamp and most seem to upgrade them for a whiter light over the old lamps.
    They take up to 900ft reels a good size and come with a good lens as well. Carefully lubricate it and you shouldn't have much trouble. Enjoy

Comment

Russ,

I have a couple of the educational machines, never had any major problems with them. All the Specto models are a pretty simply designed but well built machines I have seen the capacitor across the mains input physically break due to old age but not often. In some machines the condensor in front of the lamp sometimes has a crack due to heat issues. Not always noticable in use.

Make sure the arm belts are fitted / crossed correctly keep it lubricated and the glasswork clean and it should run for years

Panchromatic Specto info link.

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	45028

Comment

Thanks Guys,i'm really looking forward to it arriving,Nick thats a very informative link thanks.Russ

Comment

Russ

I have lots of Specto machines, any problems with it please let me know

Nick Click image for larger version

Name:	Attentive.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	45092

Comment

I know Ampro made an Educational but never heard of a specto of that name?

Comment

Yes Terry it escaped after the war. Had a 250watt lamp not much else I can tell about it but all the vertical machines followed a similar pattern.
              Probably rarer being intended for educational use.
              Nick is your man for Specto info. Top guy as well.

Comment

Name:	Tongue Poke.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	45228 Oh Mr Mannering you embarress me......... However......If you insist....

One of the first models to have the lamp "Hotspot" position adjustment screws it also had a carry handle on the lamphouse top due to the weight of the transformer fitted to power the new 50v 250w lamp (instead of the 30v or 115v used in all the other models). This apparently was updated to make the projector brighter and more suitable for schools etc. Originally available in 9.5mm and 16mm versions I have only ever seen the dual format machines with had the DE lable on the ID Plate (Introduced in 1950) as opposed to the E model, These have the 900ft arms fitted as standard.

So Russ, if it comes with spare sprokets and gate it is probably a dual machine, if it is model DE but is no changeover kit let me know I can probably find one somewhere.

Nick

Name:	Specto E.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	45229Pre 1950

Comment

Well done Nick, you have saved me a lot of writing!! However I would suggest a user manual for it Russ if you can get one, as it would avoid any problems re threading or film damage. Ken Finch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
                    Well done Nick, you have saved me a lot of writing!! However I would suggest a user manual for it Russ if you can get one, as it would avoid any problems re threading or film damage. Ken Finch.
                    Panchromatic There ya go Ken

Name:	Cool.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	45956 Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X