PATHE 17.5mm Sound the journeys end..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATHE 17.5mm Sound the journeys end..

My Dad was a big user of both 9.5mm sound and a 17.5mm sound projector so it was inevitable we would share the interest.
    Over the years we accumulated camera, films and projectors but in recent years I have gradually reduced the collection aiming mainly for people younger than me to help sustain interest in the novel film gauge for the future.

We ran our final 17.5 sound film this week which was obviously a Steve the Horse cartoon :-) and will soon be bidding a very fond farewell to our Home Talkie sound projector. I'm mainly mentioning this here so it is logged for the future being quite a historical piece of equipment have been a center piece in the Buckingham Movie Museum for a number of years.
    John Burgoyne-Johnson himself modified it to then modern lighting and also Diode for sound into a external amplifier. Eventually it fell to my arms and we have had great pleasure from this 1933 marvel which with good condition films is fun to run.

My Dad had the blimp version in 1938 designed for halls showing Sing ans We Go and the like to the villages of Kent UK before the war and when they needed public information film projectionists the ministry paid for the machine to be converted to 16mm to enable projection of that format. When Dad was still around I filmed him telling all his 17.5mm stores which are nice to look back on including the show when a German V rocket flew over a hall he was projecting in and everyone dropped to the floor as the heard it. The Pathe projector kept going of course!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	175mm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	45063

Anyway, the last of my 17.5mm machines is about to leave my hands but I just wanted to recall the journey of this particular machine being 90 years of age.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Lee Home Talkie 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	45062

I well remember those rockets, Lee. It was when they started arriving that my young brother and I were sent from our home in Blackheath, up to Blackburn, Lancs. to stay with my godparents. Stayed there for about 9 months, and sat the "scholarship exam" in the basement of Blackburn Poytechnic surrounded by glass cases containing various bits of mechanisms relating to the cotton mills!! In those days, Kent was known as "doodlebug alley". Ken Finch.

Comment

Indeed. I believe they protected London by leaking false data that the doodlebugs were hitting north of there, The Nazis set them to land earlier and hit Kent instead.

Comment

Working...
      X