Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this splicer be used to perforate film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this splicer be used to perforate film?

I wonder if this splicer punches a sprocket hole in the film, If so, couldn't this be used to perforate 9.5, assuming you could accurately advance the film each time? Sadly the pictures are very poor, but for £12.99 free post, I'll take a chance, if you think it might work.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-P...r/193087484599

I'm not sure I understand. What do you want to perfor ? If you come accross a 9.5 filmstock strip, there is every chance it's already perfored.

Comment

Sorry I mean I want to take film without central perforations (eg 16mm) and cut it down to 9.5mm (easy!) then put the 9.5 perforations in the centre (not so easy, I assume)

Comment

In my opinion , it's not possible. First, you would have to remove the 16 mm perforations and the excess of stock on the opposite side to get a stock that is exactly 9.5 mm. That alone would be difficult, then you would have to reperfor frame by frame with a tool that was not designed at all for that (the pin is not a scissor) and the result would, without a doubt, ne a disaster. If you want to reperfor 16 mm to 9,5, you need a dedicated machine for that. I know a German ninefiver who owns one and reperfors camera filmstock or already exposed films. There are other machines around (very few, I'm afaid) but I don't know their owners.

Comment

Ah thanks, you saved me £12.99...

Comment

The item for sale is a film mender (Pathescope's name) which uses cement to join a 9.5mm film, or to repair torn perforations with mending patches. It cannot perforate the film.

Maurice

Comment

Industrial intermittent film perforators typically run at around 20 strokes per second. Continuous perforators such as those Eastman-Kodak used to use since 1949 or the one Du Pont had run at several hundred feet a minute. The old Kodak 35-9.5 machine in Epinay makes about twelve strokes per second. Agfa-Gevaert also had (still has?) continuous film perforators of a very special design.

You need sharp punches and dies and the fit is tighter than half a hair thickness, it’s actually almost nil, if done correctly. Also the strip must be guided quite precisely laterally. Longitudinal positioning is automatic by closely fitting pilots that enter the last just cut hole group before the tools touch the film.

Comment

I see now it's a lot more complicated and precise than I first thought . I'll stick to making my existing stock last as long as possible!

Comment

Working...
                X