crazy - pointless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy - pointless

I have dealt with this seller and found him to be very friendly and polite - a pleasure to deal with, but why he persists in listing films at £5000 (without even the option of making an offer) I just cannot understand. Here is another example of just one of his more recent listings.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-5mm-FIL...IAAOSwbohd~Rt1

WHY??

Seems that all his 9.5 listings are now £5000 - whether silent, sound, colour or b/w even 300ft reels. I do not understand that policy. If he doesn't want to sell them why bother listing them?

Comment

I have read that he will sell for silly price even though he doesn't really want to. A nit like the TV programs (American Pickers etc.) where they ask for an "I don't want to sell it price".

Comment

Brian

You may be referring to a comment that I made quite some time ago. This was regarding his sale of the 9.5mm "Metropolis" at a Buy It Now price of £5000.00. He told me that he didn't really want to sell it, but if someone was prepared to pay £5000.00 he would sell the film to them.

Maurice

Comment

Yes, that's the quote I was thinking of.

Comment

Well if that is the case then it appears he doesn't want to sell any 9.5 film - 300' amateur - silent - sound or anything else. That's a very strange position to take for a someone that lists regularly on eBay as a business seller.

Comment

He often sells multiple, unidentified 16mm reels of film, as damaged for a low starting price.

Comment

Yes. But nothing at low prices for 9.5 apparently.

Comment

Sometimes its nice to part with something to new hands who have been looking for it a very long time at a sensible price. My tinted Metrop went to such a person younger than me very much into silent classics also researching them at length. We are still in touch even now and the reel payback is listening to his enthusiasm for 9-5 silent classics. These off the radar prices sprout from greed and no love of the format.

9-5ers have always been a unique breed and for the best part genuine with a great love of the gauge. As Mr Bentine one said 'You have to be bloody mad to do 9-5' and I guess we die hard types pretty much are. Long live 9.5mm 100 years old in 2022

The sort of ebay profiteering we are seeing even now is a terrible thing to see at a time of crisis and here is a fine example
                  Last edited by Lee Mannering; March 24, 2020, 05:20 AM.

Comment

It's quicker to click below :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

Maurice

Comment

Lee, 9.5 is younger than it looks. The 100 years of the gauge will be celebrated in 2022, not next year 😉

Comment

Shows how much I'm looking forward to it Dom EE

Comment

I don't know if it is a glitch somewhere, but EVERYTHING he is selling now shows £5,000.

Comment

Yes Brian you're right. What is the man thinking of? It's not just ridiculous- It's laughable, but it's not consistent with my dealing with him. I cannot think of a reason to take this position. It makes no commercial sense.

Comment

He probably just likes to receive mail and comment.........?

Comment

Working...
                              X