Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.5mm International 2020

Due to take place 11-14th June 2020 at Midland Hotel Bradford UK

At present as far as I am aware its still going to happen although I'm sure Group 9-5 will have a close eye on the UK scene. I've started this thread as to help anyone booked or travelling from a distance get regular updates. :-)

Unfortunately I'm unable to go this time as still awaiting on hospital blast it but they have chosen one of the finest hotels in the land and with much history.
    Laurel & Hardy stayed there along with the likes of Paul Robeson and the Beatles to name a few. Swing your head left upon entering and you will see a great plaque on the wall about L&H stay. I wonder who will get the room they were in? Gorgeous hotel....

One of the day trips is to the local BRADFORD MEDIA MUSEUM which is massive. The organisers picked up on my top tip to book the Insight Tour where you will be taken around the unseen storage areas for private access. I've done it a couple of times myself and you will see lots of cine and photo video items pretty amazing. See if you can spot the Standard 8mm magnetic sound camera, 17.5 equipment and of course 9-5 and 8. Lots to see.
    If you want to hold anything they will let you when wearing white gloves, I had a go of a few items. They should still have the old Imax projector in store as well that's something else! The museum is about a 15 minute walk away.

A nice touch is going to be THE ARCHIVE 9.5 SHOW. You are welcome to forward a 9.5 film or a DVD of a 9.5mm film for this show no more than 5 minutes duration. Hoping to send in a 9-5 of Bradford myself when I can find it GRRR.

Well over 2 months away yet so cross everything and keep well.

I wish share this message I received yesterday :

"Hello Dominique. Covid-9 update

The Spring Fair due on April 4th is cancelled.

Th 9.5 International due on June 11th is likely to be postponed to September, most likely to be 10th-13th. update to follow soon. I believe Belgium is locked down?

Regards"

Comment

Ah a minor issue the Dom. My modest input would be to do it all next year in 2021 as this will be 100 years of Pathe 9.5mm quite a big anniversary.

Yes Graham updated us on the Spring Fair and September means I stand a good chance of attending with a couple of home movies Yay!!!!

Comment

Lee, I share your enthusiam to celebrate the 100 years of the gauge but we will have to wait until 2022 for that

Comment

Thanks for the update Dom. However some people were talking on the TV that we may have to have "Social Distancing" for a whole year. I'm also thinking that leaving it until next year might be a better bet. We shall see but no one knows when its likely to end .

Graham S

Comment

Here is an official communication :

"Hello Everybody

Many Thanks for your support for the 2020 9.5 International. In view of the Covid-19 outbreak, and bearing in mind the latest forecast information to hand, it has become apparent that the festival cannot be held on the arranged date. Therefore it is proposed to postpone for 3 months, the festival now taking place from September 10th-13th 2020 at the same location, the Midland Hotel Bradford.

With a view to facilitating the change, it has been arranged with the Midland to move our bookings en bloc to these dates. If you've booked 3 days or 4 days, that is what you will be booked for in September. It won't cost anything to keep your booking on, indeed you can cancel up until noon on the proposed day of arrival.

Please, everybody, confirm with me that this arrangement is suitable for you...or not, as the case may be. And, if you know that you definitely can't come on those dates, let the hotel know as well as me.

Our visits will all have to be re-scheduled, coaches re-booked etc. but mostly we will keep to the arranged visits transposed to September. One change that looks apparent is that the Worth Valley railway visit will have to be on the Saturday (12th September) and our Industrial Museum and Media Museum visits transposed to Friday September 11th.

A revised prospectus will be sent as soon as it's all finalised.

Hopefully you can all come to the September festival, and of course we might pick up one or two members who could not make the June date for one reason or another.

The best information available at present indicates that there is a fair chance that we'll be over the crisis by September, our visit venues up and running again, and that the festival will go ahead.

Regards Cliff Perriam

chairman, Group 9.5"

Comment

Groupe 9.5 has decided to postpone the festival until next year. An official communication will be made later.

Comment

Thanks for that news Dom. Recently I had doubts that it could go ahead even though it's 4 months away as returning back to normal is a very slow process, in the UK anyway. Some people even talked about this social distancing (keeping 2 metres from other people) could last all year. It makes sense to postpone it until next year when (hopefully) we will all be fully back to normal.

Graham S

Comment

Hi Graham. I fear we will no longer see normal again as this is likely to run for some time. If I were on committee of Group 9-5 I would aim for 2022 and put all everyone's collective efforts into the very special anniversary to celebrate 9.5mm 100 year history. Just me I know but worth the executive thinking over especially the way things are changing day by day.. I would hate to see any effort for this or next year cancelled again. It may be better to hold off a little longer perhaps?

The opportunity to celebrate 100 years of 9-5 at the International is a little too good to pass over. Dig up all those prize winning films, get a 2K scan done of Lights Out and 2022 release it on Blu-Ray so much opportunity and time to plan.

Comment

Working...
                  X