Identity sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity sought

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is 8mm or 9.5mm, but I'm trying to identify this projector. No markings so far as I have been told, but I have yet to get my hands on it for real. Any help very gratefully received :-)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	69874
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	69875

I believe it's an Alef-Bilcin 85. There is no doubt it's an early 9.5 projector since you can see a Pathé Baby cassette. At first sight, I thought of an Alef, so I went on Grahame Newnham's site and found a picture of a projector which looks like yours, the Alef-Bilcin 85. I hope someone else can confirm (or correct).

9.5mm ALEF-BILCIN (pathefilm.uk)

Comment

Bob,

That is an Alef-Bilcin 85. It's a 9.5mm projector.

Edit: Dominique won the race on that one!

Comment

But the film on the spool appears to be 8mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post

Edit: Dominique won the race on that one!
          You fulfiled my hope by confirming

Indeed, Maurice, the film beside the projector is 8mm, which is confusing. Without the 9.5 cartidge on the projector, I would not have thought of a 9.5 projector.

Comment

Here are a few pictures of a shinier model.

Comment

That's brilliant, thank you all so much, just what I needed. Now I know what it should look like when smartened up. I will also look into a 12v conversion, i think, as it will provide a brighter point source than the original 40W mains incandescent bulb. Now to see if a manual exists for it anywhere...

Comment

Bob, I don't know if you're aware of that but this projector is intended for notched films. Each time there is a notch, the film stops for à few moment (usually when there is title, an intertitle, a statue...) so if you put a bulb that heats too much, the frame on still mode will burn. I'm surprised there was a 40 watt lamp inside.

Comment

Details of 9.5mm film cartridges and notched film.
                  9.5mm - Sprocket School

Comment

This particular machine was really just a toy. It had a Maltese cross intermittent mechanism which did not wear very well. It did not automatically stop at notched titles and the 40 watt mains lamp was not condensed onto the gate so the light output was not that high. I would suggest, Bob, that you replace the lamp holder and wiring to the mains and use a 40 watt led golf or candle bulb. This will ensure electrical safety and very little heat. It will also help reduce your electricity bill! Ken Finch.😉

Comment

Working...
                    X