Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of us are actually projecting 9.5 sound films?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of us are actually projecting 9.5 sound films?

As the years pass many old 9-5 hands have gone skywards sadly and we were having a chat here wondering how many around the world are still active projecting 9.5mm sound films and what projector they used to do so?

Locally in my region 3 of us are still projecting 9.5 sound films on Pathe Vox machines. We had more fans of 9-5 here and even a fairly decent sized group with monthly meetings. Once again the last decade has seen many bereavements loosing some key players of the format.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pathe.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	7904

Two Pathescope Sons, one fully converted.
    Pathe Vox, fully converted.
    Two Buckinghams, ex Elf.
    Eiki-SNT3, also magnetic/record.
    Loads of 9.5mm sound (and silent) with many old features.

Maurice

Comment

Just the one Buckingham NT2 now - used to have a couple of Sons but moved them on.
      quite a few Popeye/Betty Boop cartons and a few features. Still my favourite gauge, probably because it was the one that first got me into film/equipment collecting.

Comment

Pathe PAX (smoothing system modified and sound via phototransister routed through AV amplifier) Specto 500 (for transfer of personal films to DVD) Bolex PA for notchted titles. Ken Finch

Comment

If we're now talking 9.5mm silent, I have:-

Specto 500 (converted to use A1/233)
          Pathescope 200B (converted to use A1/215)
          Pathescope Gem (still original)

Maurice

Comment

I've never collected 9.5mm sound, but for silent, I have two Spectos, one converted to 150w QI, which I regularly use, plus a hand cranked Pathe Baby. I've occasionally shown 9.5mm silent at the Cinema Museum in London - here's a show using their Specto, converted to HID by projectionist Dave Locke, which gives a superb picture. Can't beat the Specto!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8008.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	8030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8005.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	8031

Comment

Thank you all. Its interesting to hear thoughts and see who is active with 9-5 sound always a great fascination here.
              Carry on projecting!

Comment

Two Buckingham sound projectors, two (tri-gauges) Heurtier (used of course only for 9.5), magnetic sound only, one Ligonie OSM 950 (the optical sound has recently stopped working ; I was blanking on help from Spain but since the Calella festival has been cancelled, I will have to find another way to fix it) and one Meoclub, optical only. Although I own several sound projectors, I still have some sound films I cannot watch (or to be precise I cannot hear them) since they have a right magnetic soundtrack. So I may consider buying another 9.5 sound projector although I said I would be reasonnable

Comment

Still showing 9.5 most days .my box is going well 40 features and going strong

Comment

Sorry vox

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
                      although I said I would be reasonnable
                      It would NOT be reasonnable

Comment

Dom you may need to see me I may have a fully converted Pathe Vox for sale later this year. New electrics, lamp conversion and modern amplifier.
                        The Vox is definitely the kindest sound projector to any 9.5mm sound film, something to bear in mind with these really old films.

Comment

Envious of you guys, I would love just a fraction of those collections.
                          I started many years ago with a 'toy' 35mm projector and small rolls of nitrate (a present from uncle John!), graduated to the obligatory Pathe Ace, then 8mm and more recently 16mm, but 9.5 once in the blood is a fixture and still a member of the Group 9.5.

Comment

The Pathé Vox almost needs a permanent display since it's very heavy. I received a non working Pathé Vox (together with films) so I know it's not easily transportable.

Comment

Working...
                            X