Pathé Super Vox 9.5mm Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathé Super Vox 9.5mm Projector

Some 20 years ago I was given a Pathé Super Vox with a collection of films. I decided to get it out of storage over christmas and give it a run. It never had a rewind drive belt. Having found a suitable belt, I removed the small cover from the motor gear compartment but have discovered that the drive pulley is missing from the driven shaft. Perhaps it was broken off, or removed for some reason? I am sure I can turn a suitable pulley on the lathe but am wondering how the worm drive can be dis-assembled. There appears to be a very small taper pin through the worm gear and shaft. Any suggestions anyone?

Hi Richard

I have a few of these end caps in varying states of decay. I can't say I've ever removed a rewind gear from memory so I can't give you instructions but as I'm sure you know the end caps are very fragile and any removal of pins and turning of fasteners in this area should be done with extreme care. Are the two U shaped screw mounts at the bottom of the motor end cap in good condition? Mine were until I removed the screws and then they completely disintegrated.

If you can wait until the new year then I can dig out my end caps, I'm sure they have complete rewind assemblies and you'd be welcome to one to save you having to machine missing parts.

Cheers
    Bren

Comment

Hello Bren,

Yesterday evening I removed the taper pin from the worm gear and pulley drive shaft. I used a thin parallel punch. I was then able to withdraw the shaft from the assembly and catch the brass worm gear and spacing washer as they became free. I could see from saw marks on the pulley end of the shaft that the rewind pulley and its corresponding length of shaft had been sawn off. I wonder why? I am pretty sure I can find a suitable length of round steel spindle and turn it to the correct diameter and length. Then I can find/make a rewind pulley wheel and fix it to the shaft with a grub screw. If you should have a spare pully wheel it would, of course, save me some time.

Thanks for your response.

Good wishes,

Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

Good to hear you've been successful in the task of removal. I always fret somewhat when dismantling anything in this area of the Super Vox! I'm certain I have a few bad end caps but complete with rewind mechanism. I'll take a look this evening and let you know.

Incidentally I've just finished my standard Vox project, it's been a lot of work and an amalgamation of a few scrap Vox projectors in order to build one back to factory spec. Other than the need for a Vox speaker it's virtually finished. I now have two Super Vox projectors to turn my attention to.
        ​​​​​​
        Atb
        Bren

Comment

Hi Richard. I suggest you look at previous posts as there is quite a lot of information about the VOX , restoration and where to get spare bits and other information. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the welcome. I will have a look but I am not very good at computer things and it may take me a while to find out how to do it.

All the best for 2024

Comment

Hi Richard, Just click on 9.5 forum at the top of the page, just above your topic title in thick letters and you have access to all the 9.5mm forum topics, including all the posts I have made. I have been a 9.5 cine maniac since 1948!!😊

Comment

Working...
              X