Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8368.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	95135 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8368.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	95134 Hi, a friend is concerned that the core of the resistance in her Specto 500, which uses its original lighting, may be made from asbestos. Does any 95er know the answer? I think it may be ceramic, but would be interested to know what others think. Thank you.

Interesting post. No idea about the Specto but after a quick search, I realized that several 9.5 projectors contain asbestos (I learned another word in English...) in their electrical system : the (rare) Flex (http://kaftafex.free.fr/projecteur.html), the Pathé Baby, the Heurtier, and probably others. I never thought of that before.

Comment

Chris, I would think this part would be ceramic, not asbestos. The purpose of asbestos is to insulate heat, so it has been used in some 9,5 lamp housings such as the Pathescope 200B, but here there is no point in winding the voltage dropping coil on a piece of asbestos - you just need a structurally strong high temperature capable insulator, for which ceramic is the material of choice.

Comment

Hi Dominique and Paul. Yes, I've come across the 200B asbestos (though I used one for some time and just ignored it!) But like Paul I'm inclined to think that the Specto uses ceramic for the resistance. Thanks to you both.

Comment

On my dual gauge Specto 500 the voltage dropping coil for the lamp is ceramic. Yes the 200B and other projectors do contain asbestos but I have never heard of anyone suffering from asbestosis as a result. Many portable buildings were clad with sheets of it and also had corrugated asbestos roofs. As were the HARSA pronounced “jawsa” meaning ‘hutted accommodation for the raising of the school age’,huts used in schools. I thought in one for many years with no ill effects to staff or children. It is only dangerous if you start cutting it and breathe in the resulting dust. Builders etc. these days wear make to avoid breathing in the dust.😏

Comment

Yes, generally it is disturbing the aspestos causing it to give of threads off it, that causes problems.

Comment

Working...
            X