Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved result: Ferrania B&W film in Cine Nizo Model F with Perceptol stock strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved result: Ferrania B&W film in Cine Nizo Model F with Perceptol stock strength

As mentioned previously, I've been struggling to get decent results with long expired Ferrania B&W film. The results have been extremely grainy, even using Perceptol diluted 1 part to 3 parts water. Perceptol is known as a fine grain developer, and was a definite improvement over Rodinal but still nowhere near acceptable. Using stock strength Perceptol is said to give less grain and higher contrast so I gave it a go, and it's a much improved result!
    The main problem is that you need around 2 litres of stock solution to bucket develop even 30 feet of film, not because the developer will be exhausted but just to give enough liquid to easily move the film around to prevent uneven development. This means a bucket of developer costs around £12, compared to about 30p for Rodinal. Luckily, stock strength can be re-used several times though re-using it carries risks of inconsistency.

This test was done with 13 feet of 9.5mm in 3/4 litre of stock, which was not enough, and sections of the film kept popping out of the solution. This has resulted in some uneven development I think, or it's possible the shutter speed on the Nizo camera is not consistent. The Cine Nizo F was a joy to use, with a start button that's easy to press and it doesn't shake the camera like the Pathe B does.

I read that another way to reduce grain is to overexpose when shooting. The reason is that, when underexposed, the larger grains "catch" the light first, and smaller ones get washed away during processing, leaving a higher % of large grains. Overexposing leads to a greater balance of grain size, and more smaller grains.
    Here's a comparison to put this to the test. On the left are 2 frames from a 'correctly' exposed section. I guessed the shutter speed to be 1/30 second, and the Ferrania film seems to be around 10 ISO. The meter gave a reading of around f/4 for these settings but full strength Perceptol reduces film speed by around a stop, so I shot the film at 6 ISO. The 2 on the right side were shot at f/3. (then adjusted in photoshop in Levels to roughly match the left side).
    Is the result on the right better? I'm not sure. The right side looks a little better I think, and the 2 on the left look a little "smeared" . This can be seen, perhaps a little more clearly in the close up crops underneath. Any difference is very small though. More experiments needed. All 4 images have been adjusted for contrast, the original film still has low contrast, but better than the 1:3 test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nizo1 web.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	955Click image for larger version

Name:	nizo1b.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	957

And here's the video of the telecine results. The film was shot in very weak and variable sunshine in St Neots, Cambridgeshire 2 days ago. At the end I'm holding up 4 fingers to remind myself that it was shot at f/4. I did comparison experiments at f/5 and f/7 but didn't realise the film had already run out. 13 feet does not last long...

Telecine methods are improving too.
    I'll put it as a link rather than embed it, as it seems to play better that way, on my laptop anyway.

https://youtu.be/wLjRkAw1p3g
    Attached Files

You’re doing very well, it’s about acutance as the term is and I think you have rightly discovered that pictures need some graininess. The eye loves structure to bite on, not overwhelming but simply present. Can I make myself understood?

Comment

That's a great way of putting it! "The eye loves structure to bite on". Thanks, yes, I'll try not to obsess about getting rid of all the grain.

Comment

I'm actually feeling that the samples on the left look sharper, hence the appearance of more grain or noise. I have used photoshop for my still images, however I love using Davinci Resolve when grading and correcting my motion pictures. It is free unless you want the advanced noise reduction feature, which is CPU heavy anyways and difficult to run without the right specs. Either way, I hope you congratulate yourself, you've done a good job. Bringing back to life expired film stocks is always an experiment!

Comment

Thank you Evan! I'll take a look at that software too, I'd never heard of it before. Prior to doing these experiments I'd assumed all the discussions on forums about best developer and effects of varying dilutions etc were about very minor differences. Now I see that the differences can be massive.

Comment

Iain,

Developers have a lot to do with the results as you can tell. With rodinal one can expect higher contrast and grain. I'm sure that's some of what you are seeing there. The type of developer and dilution of it, and method of agitation (or standing development) all have varied results. Sometimes Overexposing and then pulling in development can also have a great impact. Although, if you are already rating at an ISO of 6 I'm not sure how much more you can pull! Some IR still stocks that I shoot are at an ISO of 3-6 and those always require longer exposures on a tripod. Goodluck with the experimentation! I find that having expired stocks are always better in bulk, allowing up to play and experiment before shooting something dedicated.

Comment

Thanks mate. I'm learning a lot as I go along. And yes, what a luxury to have 3000 feet of this stock to practise with!

Comment

Working...
              X