Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement on claw of Specto 500

Hi
    I have a specto 500 set up for 9.5mm , this is the later grey model.
    The film is not advancing as it should and I feel it may be the claw which is not moving correctly. I have made a short video to show it in operation and it appears to me it goes only up and down and not going forward, through the gate.
    I have also enclosed a pic of the lower knob, adjacent the bottom sprocket knob, this knob will not move at all, I believe it is supposed to release the gate housing to open same. I am wondering if this has something to do with the claw movement ?
    I am hoping some knowledgeable Specto expert ( in the now absence of the famed Martyn Stevens ) can tell me if this indeed is the problem and could maybe post a video of the claw in action- just realised it's not possible to upload a video.

I have uploaded the video here : https://youtube.com/shorts/on2oBn6HTAw?feature=share

Comment

Yeah, the in-and-out cam is missing.

Comment

Mel, you have the claws retracted for threading and opening the gate. Ie the large silver lever just below the claws. Click it anti-clockwise and the claws should reengage with the film. Try and it and let us know what happens. It will offer mild resistance, but that's normal, then will click into place at about a one o-clock position.

Congratulations on owning a Specto 500 - the best machine for 9.5mm silent films (at least if you don't require notched titles).

Comment

Oh, I was totally wrong.

Comment

Hi Mel, Chris is quite correct. Do you have a copy of the user instruction manual? It really is essential to to get the best use out of the Dual gauge model. Used correctly, it is probably the best machine as Chris says for silent films and the mute versions of sound ones in the Pathescope catalogue.😊

Comment

Mel
              I have a copy of th instruction manual that you are welcome to. PM me with your address and I will send it to you.
              Terry

Comment

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply, I have pm'd Terry and once I receive the manual should be able to resolve this.
                Cheers Mel

Comment

Chris, the silver lever you mention will not budge, for some reason it resists very firm attempts to move it.
                  Cheers
                  Me

Comment

You will probably be able to resolve the problem when you receive the user manual from Terry. Do not try to force it or you may damage something! The instructions explain how to open the gate completely. The problem could be that the framing knob has been screwed down to far.

Comment

Mel
                      Instruction manual posted yesterday so you should receive it for the weekend.
                      Terry

Comment

thank you to all that helped out with my problem. Since receiving the manual from Terry, the Specto is now running perfectly, it just needed a little firmer persuasion to move the lever to the 1 o'clock position.

Comment

Working...
                        X