What is the future of 9.5 mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the future of 9.5 mm?

I’m curious where most of you 9.5 mm fans are located and your thought on the future of the format.

Although I have dabbled in film 20 years ago in 16 mm, I’m new to 9.5 and fell in love with both the old projectors (the Pathé ones and my old Paillard D1) and the Pathé cameras of the time (mainly Webo M, Super and Professional BTL). I’m building up a collection of both old films, cameras and awaiting film stock from Color Films Archive to start shooting film again, but this time in 9.5 mm.

It seems the film stock, although potentially available in a limited run soon, will likely go away in a near future, and already has multiple times in the past.

Since two of my cameras needed repairs and servicing I reached out to the French 9.5 mm club for contacts of technicians that worked in the format but nearly all where gone or out of business. Only one contact remains and only repairs projectors. I did find one gentleman in Italy that could repair them thanks to a referral here but he seems to be the only left in the world that still does. It made me think, I’d love to volunteer to learn how to work them myself and keep the craft alive but wouldn’t know where to start.

For those who have been a fan of the format for much longer, what are your thoughts on how to keep the format alive, especially to create new films?

Yoram, I'm sure everybody will have his own point of vue regarding your question about thé future of the 9.5. I did mine the definition I once Heard : "A gauge is alive as long as people shoot new films". But, as many things, that's questionnable and one could say that projecting films is also a way to keep the format alive. We all keep our fingers crossed to be able to have filmstock from CFA which could bé an easier and cheaper alternative to what ninefivers are doing at the moment : reperfor 16mm to 9.5 on a non professionnal way. So far, there are still people filming in 9.5, including me.It is still possible in 2024 to order new 9,5 spools and clips in The Netherlands (Van Eck) and to have a professional stripping in Italy (Alberto). I think it's not bad. There is more and more interest for 9.5 for the fact that some films only survided on this gauge and for early interesting amateur films. We do need, however, new filmmakers, of course, so welcome 😀

Comment

As one who remained loyal to the 9.5 gauge to the end I do not think there would be sufficient interest for any company to produce 9.5mm film stock. It is a question of supply and demand. The cost would be prohibitive in this day and age. Where is the raw reversal film stock going to come from? Are there any film manufacturers still making it? As Dominic says, there remains an interest in the 9.5 mm printed films because many older films, particularly from the era of silent films, albeit very abridged, only exist on this gauge. This was because the Pathe company were one of the worlds leading film distributing companies and still still exist as such for many European film producing companies. The Pathe logo can still be seen at the start of many films.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Finch View Post
        Where is the raw reversal film stock going to come from? Are there any film manufacturers still making it?
        We're hoping to use the excellent Ektachrome film. There is, from what I was told, a demand for 9.5 filmstock but I don't know to which entend. It's clear for everybody that it's a niche market but I assume CFA know what they are doing.

Comment

I myself have placed an order for quite a few rolls of 9.5 with CFA. Waiting for their final thumbs up on this latest batch.

Comment

Working...
          X