16mm sound projector wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mm sound projector wanted

Now I've got my new film storage unit nearly up and running I'm tentaivly going back into selling 16mm films, but I've got a bit of a problem, I've 2 16mm projectors, a nice B&H which has got a cracked worm gear, so no go there for the moment, an Eiki/Elf which works OK except I can't get any sound out of it, so again another one for the back burner, so I need a good working reasonably priced, sound 16mm projector, I'm very wary of B&H's now because of the infamous wormgears, so a nice working Elf/Eiki would be the way to go, as I have very limited experience with any other 16mm projector makes. So if anyone has a decent projector for sale, and can send it to me via courier, please send me info on model, condition, price inc. post, and I'll get back to you. You can email me at indi8films@aol.com or send a PM. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

I hope you get a nice machine! Would love to have another 16mm dealer on the scene. 👍

Comment

Barry - I'm certainly not discouraging you from getting another one, but if your Eiki is OK except for a lack of sound, I wondered if you've ruled out the possibility of it being something minor? No doubt you've checked that the exciter lamp is working, but does the amp, if you turn it up, produce any hum through the internal speaker, or an external one if you connect one? Especially if it doesn't, you might need to replace the amplifier fuse. Once, while using an Eiki, I had a sudden 'disappearance' of the sound, and managed to fix it by simply cleaning below the optical sound head, as something had got in the way.

Comment

Thanks Adrian, I'm going to see if I can get the sound working, so any tips are welcome, I'll certainly try what you suggested.

Comment

Hi Barry. You will have checked that the exciter lamp is lit? Model of lamp if needed is the pretty standard
          BRS 4 volt .75 amp exciter lamp

Other tips: Remove the amplifier fuse and test it, to be found on top of the amp in back of machine.

With the projector up plugged from mains/off give the volume control 20 or so turns pot could be dirty.

The switch that turns amp on could have failed.

Worst it can be is blown amplifier.

The amplifiers in Elf/Eiki machines do have a deisgn flaw as I found out. The rear solder speaker connectors inside the metal amplifier casing sit very near components on the amp circuit board. With the age of Elf projectors and most having been used in Universaties and schools over here the speaker jack socked will have been used hundreds of times and the piece of metal the socket is mounted on bends inwards towards and eventually can short out. Bang.

The RM jack socket I stripped down recently was about 1mm away from components so with the amp removed I made a small additional half square bracket to support the socket and glued it in. It wont move again.

Good luck my friend.

Comment

If the machine hasn't been used for years, I would suggest a service before you do anything with it. Why not send it to Kevin Brown? When he is done with it, the machine will be in perfect condition. When my machine came back from him just before lockdown started, it was like new again. He is also very reasonable. Highly recommended!
            - Rob

Comment

I agree.
              I highly recommend Kevin Brown. He has looked after my projectors for the last eleven years.

https://www.yell.com/biz/kb-cine-rep...ngham-8723722/

Maurice

Comment

Well I've bitten the bullet and bought a B&H Slotloader, everything I'm assured is OK, inc. that wormgear that's always the problem with these machines, so now I'll be able to check out some of the 16mm I've got in stock.

Comment

Barry
                  I have two Bell & Howell slot loaders.
                  A green 1680B which uses the EMM A1/258 lamp which is now obsolete and rather expensive. The other is a black (or charcoal grey) 1680G which uses the modern ELC A1/259 lamp.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice,

I'm not sure what one it is, but luckily I actually have a couple A1-258 lamps in my stock (if I'm remembering right!), as well as a couple of A1-259's as well, so I should be all right for a while (I hope!).

Comment

If you are only checking prints on a small screen you can always run with an 12v 7w LED intended to replace low voltage spot lights with an LED driver. With 16mm frame and optics I can get a good 18" picture from one. Then you can save the lamp life of the others for large screen viewings.

Comment

I've actually just purchased a brand new 4x3 64" pull down screen to look at my 8mm & 16mm films, so a biggish screen for me to check films on!

Comment

I've received the projector, and as described it looks in nice condition, I've tried a film and everything works OK, it uses the A! 258/EMM lamps, but as I said I've a few of them amongst my stock of lamps, you can still get them from the U.S.A. for a price, or I suppose I could convert this to a normal lamp holder later down the line, but very happy with it as it is for the moment.

Comment

Kevin Brown can do a lamp conversion.
                            He hollows out an old defunct EMM (A1/258) lamp and sticks a ceramic 2-pin socket inside. This will then accept an ELC (A1/259).
                            However, to get the new assembly in direct line with the gate he needs to remove a small part of the back plate.

Maurice

Comment

Hi Barry.

I will be very interested to see what 16mm you will be listing for sale! 😊

Ali.

Comment

Working...
                              X