Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex S-321

Hi folks

This is an equipment query rather than for sale at the moment - I have just got a Bolex S-321 16mm projector with case, transformer and 50mm and 70mm lenses. Its a real heavy solid bit of kit ! I was just wondering if anyone knew how much this projector setup would have cost back in the late 60's when it was first sold ?

John
    You say your S321 has a transformer. My S321 doesn't need a transformer as it works directly from UK mains.
    I can't find an original price, but I have two models in the 1966-67 Wallace Heaton Blue Book.
    S-211 with transformer £377.
    S-221 with transformer £449.
    I assume the S321 came a little later.
    Here's a tip I got from my engineer. When carrying this very heavy projector, first detach the side speaker assembly. Then lift the two units separately.

https://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/i...0543404533.JPG

Maurice
    Last edited by Maurice Leakey; June 07, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks Maurice. That would quite a few weeks wages back in the day !

Comment

I have this projector also and it is set to 220V on the front panel. I have been running it on 240V without a problem. However I am advised by a projector engineer that it is being overrun on 240V which could shorten the life of the the valves and possibly the motor. He has advised getting a step down transformer. Is the Bolex transformer for these machines what I need? Ie.will it step 240V down to 220V? I am also told that the machine will happily run on 200V. Any comments most welcome.

Comment

Jeremy
          Have a look at this from the Bolex Collector. It states 110 volts to 250 volts.
          You can always reduce the voltage (via the the small inner knob) using the Voltmeter readout display.
          http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/s321.html

Maurice

Comment

Thank you, Maurice. Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. Have been away. The projector seems to run fine on 240V. I will take some measurements of the voltage off the room light socket. The projector shows 220V in the panel on the front. This was what made me think I might be over-running it on 240V. That said I got the projector from a school, and before that it had been bought from new by an army major. It appears to be in very good condition. With the projector came all the service correspondence between this gentleman and Bolex back in the late 60s./ early 70s. It seemed to me that if it had required a transformer he would have had it. I note that you say you run yours off 240V. Unfortunately I have just bought a Bolex transformer for it, thinking I'd need it. I tried it out this evening. I set the voltage selector on the transformer at 240V. When I plugged it all up it seemed to me that the power was much reduced. The panel lights were somewhat dim and there was insufficient power to run the motor. I didn't switch the lamp on. So am a bit puzzled. All in all I may just run it off the mains!

Comment

Jeremy
              I would suggest that the transformer which you have bought has an output of 110 volts, this would be for the earlier model S-221 which runs on 110 volts and needs a transformer for higher mains voltages.
              http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/s221.html

Maurice

Comment

Many thanks, Maurice. I think I will not use the transformer. The machine runs very well direct from the mains. My confusion arises from the instruction book for the 321 which states that for mains voltages:
                90 - 110V
                130 - 220V and
                240 - 265V
                the auxiliary transformer should be used. The mains voltage around UK does vary and here in West Yorkshire I measured as 243V. So I thought it borderline. However armed with your experience I reckon I will leave well alone and continue to run it directly off the mains. Thanks for your help.

Comment

S-221 with transformer £449.
                  In 1966...that was about 5% of the cost of my Dads first house, which today would be about £300k, making the equivelant cost today using this as a benchmark something like a breathtaking £15,000. Of course one could play this game with all sorts of things and the price would be lower...but I have no doubt these were relatively expensive machines at the time, and very much a big purchase item (e.g., your Eumig P8 was just £31.00 in 1963).

I think these projectors are among the most beautiful looking of 16mm projectors today (in this size range). And if it is any comfort Jeremy, I have not been without problems using my S321 (which I love) as you expect with old electro-mechanical devices. However, these problems have not appeared to be voltage related as far as I can tell, despite my always using mains 240-ish. (e.g., bad earths, old caps, continuity breaks through mechanical fatigue, drive clutch probs at the reel spindle assemblies).

I better go and film something now...in a 9.5mm mood.

Comment

Working...
                  X