Zoom lens needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom lens needed

Hi all - Just got back into 16mm collecting after focusing solely on Super 8mm for decades... anyway, the projected image I'm getting from my Eiki (Model NT-O) is too small and I don't have the option of moving the projector farther away from the screen - so I need suggestions on how to get a lens that will fit the projector and allow me to enlarge the image. Thanks for any advice!

Brian there is a nice Eiki zoom lens available, but they seem very hard to find, and thus command a high price if you can find a decent one!

Comment

i have a lovely ISCO-OPTIC KIPTARON MC F 1.4 25mm 1 inch lens for Eiki/Elf projectors. clean bright sharp images. no fungus. £200 plus post. brighter and sharper than Sankor and Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	29911 others.
      Attached Files

Comment

Where are you Brian? Mark
        Last edited by Mark Mander; March 13, 2021, 03:28 AM.

Comment

I'm in New York City... so was hoping to find a lens states-side... but will order from overseas if needed...So, Paul, will your lens fit right on to my old lens, or will I need a special adapter? Please let me know... Thanks.

Comment

hi Brian. the 25mm lens will fit on its own without adaptor or any other lens. its a 42.5mm barrel so fits Eiki/Elf. you need to assess the room you are using and the throw distance you have. most zooms for the Eiki are 35mm-70mm. there is a 30mm-70mm also. the zoom gives you the versatility where as a fixed non zoom gives you less versatility. however the 25mm will give you the biggest picture size. to give you an idea, from a distance of 12ft you would get a picture approx 4ft.3 across with the 25mm lens. so consider what would be best for you. Paul

Comment

You won`t find a better 25mm lens if you go for it Brian, superb.

Hope its right.

Best Mark.

Comment

Paul - I am away from my home theater until next weekend... but I believe the screen is 96" diagonal and the throw distance is about 25'... Does it sounds like you lens would work? Let me know when you have a chance... and what would the shipping cost be? Brian

Comment

hi Brian i'm sorry but lens has been sold. it was snapped up quickly. from the size you have given i think maybe a zoom would be your best option. preferably a 30-70mm

Comment

Brian, another solution could be the use of a zoom converter, an accessory to screw in front of your lens. With a 50 mm lens, you may not get a picture large enough but if you can find a 38 mm one and combine it with a zoom converter, you will get a 25 mm size. This option is cheaper and has the advantage of allowing you to buy first zoom converter and then the 38 mm lens (or vice versa) to delay the costs but you must be prepared to loose some light and some sharpness by putting an extra lens on the existing one. I use a zoom converter and the results are more than acceptable.

Comment

i have for sale on ebay uk a Elmo 16CL which comes with a 38mm Elmo lens plus a Elmo zoom converter. as Dominique says using both lenses together will give you a big picture. i have used similar on an Eiki with Sankor 38mm and Sankor converter and i must say the Elmo lenses are far superior. little loss of light and very sharp. in my opinion as good as a Isco 25mm lens. but sadly Elmo lenses will not fit Eiki projectors.

Comment

How does an ELF focus when a smooth barrel is used, like the lens above? I thought that the machine needed the thread for traction with the rubber focus roller. Is one expected to add some tape to the barrel for traction?

Comment

OK - so my search continues... I now have the measurements that can help determine what I need. The throw length from projector to screen is 21 feet and the screen size is 54"x 96".... with masking on the sides... anyway, as I stated, I'm by no means an expert...so I need a friendly fellow collector to suggest what I need...

The image I am getting now measures 34 X 48... so I need the ability to zoom it out to fill the screen to the measurements above... Thanks for any help/suggestions. Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hendel View Post
                            OK - so my search continues... I now have the measurements that can help determine what I need. The throw length from projector to screen is 21 feet and the screen size is 54"x 96".... with masking on the sides... anyway, as I stated, I'm by no means an expert...so I need a friendly fellow collector to suggest what I need...

The image I am getting now measures 34 X 48... so I need the ability to zoom it out to fill the screen to the measurements above... Thanks for any help/suggestions. Brian
                            Brian, check out the post from Janice Glesser: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ide-angle-lens

Comment

Hi Brian,

Have a look at this table to get an idea about the optimal focal length for your situation:
                              http://paulivester.com/films/projector/throw.pdf

It looks like you are looking for a lens between 30mm and 35mm.

The one you want is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kowa-EIKI...-/114575609309
                              , but it is a bit pricey.... If you are patient, you will be able to find one for half that price at some point. But having said that, they don't come up all that often. It is a great lens. I have it myself, and even though I don't use it at the moment (I have fixed 25mm, 30mm and 35mm lenses), I will never get rid of it. It is a fantastic and very flexible lens. It will allow you to get a great picture of exactly the right size in many different set-ups.

The 35mm-65mm variant is more common and you can find a cheaper one here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/ISCO-VARIO-Z...EAAOSwtsRgS6G7
                              At the wide-angle extreme, you get close to filling the height of your screen, but not quite. It looks like you will have to crop your screen a little.

A budget option for a 35mm fixed lens is the Astro Kino Color lens, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-4-35m...EAAOSwiItfys~G
                              I use it as my prime lens for scope films. This lens comes up quite regularly, and you should be able to get it for less than this (I bought 2 of them for $50 last year. It is a fine lens. Not of the same quality as the ISCO or the Kowa, but perfectly acceptable.

Another budget option is a Zoom converter that you can screw on top of your 50mm prime lens, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOOM-CONVER....c100667.m2042
                              But it won't quite do for you (I think you will achieve something like 38mm on the wide angle side). It could be an option to increase your picture size while waiting for an affordable 30-70mm lens. This one on Ebay is too expensive, I think. If you want to go down that route, I think I might be able to find one for you in my lens box for half that price.

Hope that helps!

- Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X