Bell & Howell Filmosound 16mm Projector Free for Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell & Howell Filmosound 16mm Projector Free for Collection

Hi chaps - I have a B & H 642 Projector I need to dispose of. It runs OK, but has a tendency to tear film, so I'm guessing the worm gear may need replacing. It certainly needs attention before serious use. I have tried to sell it on EBay but no interest. So I'm offering it here to anyone who wants it. Free to anyone who can personally collect or I will deliver within 50 miles of Croydon UK for cost of petrol. Else I'm afraid it will go down the tip.

Dick
    Are you sure it's a 642?
    It looks like a 643 as it appears to have opt/mag playback capabilities.

Comment

[QUOTE Else I'm afraid it will go down the tip.[/QUOTE]

Whatever model it is, I hope one of our London colleagues can save this machine of beauty from biting the dust. Mr. Fretwell or Mr. Winchester perhaps ?
      Even if someone rescues it and brings it to Blackpool if you're not into 16mm. Such a waste. I am too far away or else.......

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
        Dick
        Are you sure it's a 642?
        It looks like a 643 as it appears to have opt/mag playback capabilities.
        Hi Maurice - you are correct that it has opt/mag heads. If that makes it a 643 then you are correct ! I certainly bought it as a 642 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin England View Post
          [QUOTE Else I'm afraid it will go down the tip.
          Whatever model it is, I hope one of our London colleagues can save this machine of beauty from biting the dust. Mr. Fretwell or Mr. Winchester perhaps ?
          Even if someone rescues it and brings it to Blackpool if you're not into 16mm. Such a waste. I am too far away or else.......[/QUOTE]

Hi Melvin - if you like, I could explore the possibility of couriering it up to Blackpool, although I'd be a bit reluctant. I've had some bad experiences with couriers.

Comment

Hi Dick.

I think my last post may have caused a little confusion. When I mentioned Blackpool ,I was referring to the November Annual Convention that takes place there. I don't live there, I live on the East Coast near Hull, so I don't have a Blackpool address you could send it to.

What I was referring to was that if one of our London based forum members was to rescue the projector from you and bring it up to Blackpool when the convention takes place, I am sure someone at the convention would be more than willing to give it a good home.
            I just hope you would reconsider dumping it and possibly put it on Ebay advertised as a "parts only" purchase. In that way, a buyer knows it is a machine that needs attention, and you might even make a few quid out of it!

It is just sad to see these machines go to that great projector booth in the sky.....

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Melvin. I already offered it on EBay making it clear it needed attention. I listed it twice, the second time with a bid price of £10, but no takers. I really don't want to dump it, but I am desperate for space at the moment.

Comment

Dick,

If you can pack it into a box, I will pay for a courier delivery. I can strip it down and service it however with so much on at the moment it will have to get done in between other bits and pieces that are on the bench at the moment so it wont be a priority?

Let me know

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick - thanks for the offer. I have to say I've had bad experiences with couriers, but if you're happy to take the risk then it's yours to do with as you wish (I don't want it back). I'll PM you when I've found a box big enough !

Comment

I meant to reply earlier that I would not have been be able to take to Blackpool as I don't have a car and carrying it would be too much, also I have too many things to do and too little time to do anything with it myself.

Comment

I'm delighted to say that Nick Regan has agreed to take this machine now, so it will not go to scrap. Thanks Nick !

Comment

I like that, that's good news

Comment

I now have this projector in my care, thank you Dick, and as it seems to have stirred some interest I thought perhaps I should update everyone. I have had quick look at the insides without stripping it down, the worm gear actually looks fine in situ but I will change it anyway. A couple of the belts had had it which I will replace when I do the worm gear, one of these I think was causing the film to slip during use.

I have noticed some diiscussions on Bell & Howells worm gears so have Included a picture here of a new one just to show what everyone is talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BHWG 01.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	44346 Click image for larger version

Name:	BHWG 02.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	44347 Click image for larger version

Name:	White Smile.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	44349

I intend to change the gear later next week using 3 screwdivers, a circlip plier, a pair of snipe nosed pliers, a perminant marker and some allan keys only. (If I remember correctly) If there is any interest I will take photos during the operation and post them.

Thanks again Dick

Nick​
                          Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Nick. Very pleased my projector will be restored to working order and hopefully in due course will find a good home.

Comment

So pleased to hear that this projector will live to fight another day.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nick at Lee's Accrington get together last month and was able to admire some of the projectors he has restored. Your projector is in safe hands and will be giving many more years of service to some lucky person........ and well done for not dumping it Mr. Budgen !

Comment

Working...
                              X