Wanted: Ampro New Educational Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Ampro New Educational Motor

Hi all, I'm hoping to source a motor from an Ampro New Educational 16mm projector, this is the UK model built under license by Kelvin & Hughes. I've carried out an extensive restoration to the projector but found after some fault finding that the motor is faulty and suffering from insulation breakdown of the windings, causing the motor to drop in speed and sometimes stall. Does anyone in the UK have a scrappy New Educational or a motor for one hanging around? I'm hoping to source one this way than take one from another good projector.

Cheers
    Bren

Hi Bren,
    I don't know where you are in the U.K, but there is a company that has always done a first class job on every motor I have ever taken into them over the years. They are based in Heathfield East sussex and are Southern Rewinds. Phone: +44 1435 865533
    They can basically rewind anything and bring it back to new, it could be an option if no over one shows up.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, it may be worth looking into if the cost isn't too excessive, if I have no luck I'll get in touch with them. I need to get the motor out to inspect properly but I'm almost certain that one or more of the armature windings is shorting due to insulation break down between the windings, it's fine at lower speeds but once the rheostat is turned closer to sound speed or at sound speed the fault appears. Oddly the projector has had a very easy and cared for life so I hope this isn't a common fault with this series of projectors.

Comment

Could just be one batch of copper wire had a problem with the lacquer used for insulation.

Comment

Bren
          This projector was advertised in an Amateur Cine World magazine in 1961, so it's now probably around sixty years old. So might be a replacement motor if one can be found.
          I feel that a rewind is the only solution. It appears that Southern Rewinds may be out of business, but I attach a link to a firm who are advertising motor rewinds.
          Electric Motor Repairs, Rewinds, & Refurbishment Near You (beatson.co.uk)

Comment

Thanks Maurice, I will be in touch with them. I'm going to remove the motor today and inspect it properly though I am almost certain the fault is what I stated previously so a rewind will be in order. It may just be possible that carbon deposits are causing tracking along the commutator but from previous inspection these look very clean and it's not a problem I have experienced before.

I'll have it sorted either way, it will make a very nice projector once finished. I have carried out extensive restoration work to the amplifier and that is working very well and I love the convenience of a 240v input as with a lot of older UK projectors this is a more uncommon feature. My next project is an ex Air Ministry GB L516 which is having a few sympathetic modifications though I will make a new thread in the appropriate section and discuss this one.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Comment

Bren

I have one as well. Very convenient in a single case and with variable speed control which is rather unusual in a 16mm sound projector.

For many years I had an L516 in its original state, it was not an ex ministry model which at one time flooded the market. These can be recognised as they do not have a still device. The little sliding knob is missing, only the slit, of course, remains. I had a long leather belt around it as the clasps securing the top to the rest of the case are non too brilliant.

For many years the RAF used them as they could be easily carried from room to room. They also used the Debrie which because of its weight remained in static positions. The stores office were always ribbed by projectionists of both projectors who were asking for exciter lamps.
              Last edited by Maurice Leakey; December 16, 2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X