Victor Animatophone Model 55: Sound not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Animatophone Model 55: Sound not working

If I sound like a complete fool and a novice...that's because I am, so keep that in mind...So, when I first got the projector, I noticed the sound coming out was peculiar (Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmwDIQS7uo). Later that day, I noticed that sound wasn't coming through at all, and its been like that ever since...The exciter lamp still turns on, same with the speakers, so I'm not sure what to do...

Michael

Have a look at this video. It appears that the stationery sound drum assembly actually pulls out for cleaning. Perhaps it is not in its correct position.

Also, the lacing around the two sound rollers seems quite complicated. Make sure your lacing is correct.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOWBL_1uRg

Maurice

Comment

Greetings, Maurice

I actually saw the video before I got the model. I know that the sound drum can't lock in place unless it's in the correct position. I also checked my lacing around the sound rollers and it was in order.

Thanks for looking at this.

-Michael

Comment

Michael
        Perhaps the service manual may help you,
        http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/m...OR40555660.pdf

Maurice

Comment

i didn't know the word "turntable" (heard in the video) for "record player". Looking in a dictionary, I didn't find "pick up", which is sometimes used in Belgium (by French speaking people !) for "record player" (tourne-disque is the main used French word, there is also the word "platine" ; I don't know if in France they use "pick up" as well). Is "pick up" correct or is it a wrong use of the expression ?

Comment

The features of this projector are very impressive. I wonder why they weren't more popular? As for the 'no sound' problem, surely it must be an amplifier fault. I'm guessing that it is a tube amp which is many decades old, so probably needs capacitors, resistors/ valves replacing. Have you checked the photo electric cell? That could also be faulty.

Comment

The term "Pick Up" was used for many years to mean a unit with a 78 turntable and a pick-up arm. The needles were steel and only lasted for a few records before becoming blunt. It would need some form of amplifier, or similar, to be used.
              The pick-up arm is now referred to as a "tonearm".

Maurice
              Last edited by Maurice Leakey; July 11, 2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that complete answer, Maurice. Funny to learn we are still using (sometimes) an obsolete word for British ears. The 78 turntables are called in French "gramophone"or "phonographe", I never heard "pick up" which is used for 33/45 record players.

Comment

Presumably means that it picks up the recording from the disc. Most sound projectors and radio sets in the past had a socket marked PU.
                  Just looking at the Pathescope Son instruction book. On page 1 item arrowed as 14 says:- Gram or Pick-up.

Maurice

Comment

Salutations

I can definitely say that (aside from the sound thing) its a really neat projector. I already did check into the photocell and replaced it, however, I'll look into the capacitors, resistors, etc later today.

-Michael

Comment

A quick&dirty way to test the functionality of the audio chain is using a cardboard/business card/similar object to rapidly swiping it at the film path, around the sound pickup area. If you can hear THUD THUD THUD as you swipe the paper around, the audio path is still OK.
                      If totally quiet try maxing out the volume. You should hear some hiss from the speaker then.
                      If still totally silent, then it could be quite a problem.

From the first video the sound is so "stuttery" - probably indicating some sort of mechaincal/alignment issue somewhere in the audio path.
                      In theory this is an excellent design since it completely isolate vibrations before&after audio pickup, giving the most steady film travel.
                      In practical use this seems a bit problematic - complicated film path&more parts that could go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X