Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Natco 3015-2

Hey guys!

My name is Markus, this is my first post. Please excuse my poor English, I am from Austria (Mozart, no kangoo ;-) )

I am owner of a nice piece of tech, in form of a Natco 3015. The story is quite simple: the projector has been with some GI's in WW2 and has been left after they went back at their former "station" in an old church. It comes with the speaker and a couple of movies and accessories, but without the power cable. The cable is missing since then, so the gear was left in the dry and cold basement for app. 60 years till I found and bought it.

We tried to revive it. First problem was the power supply, as it takes 110v at 60 Hz. We have organized a transformator at 50hz and connect it. It turned out, that the main motor is working pretty good. Just need some oil, turns quite easy by hand and moved the main mechanism with the chain without any issue. Also the other electrical parts look pretty good, no smoke or deformation noticeable. :-)

The 2nd motor (which is used for ventilation of the main bulb and rewind, placed upper left if you look through the service panel at the back) stuck. We tried to remove it and treat it with love and teflon spray to make it work. It turned out, that it is easy to turn while loose, but stuck as it is screwed into place, which means I should replace it. I guess the spindle is not straight or as "compressed by put in place" the inner part has not enough place to move proper. As you could imagine, it is very hard to find any informations in general or spare parts in Europe.

Can anyone of you guys be as kind and help me with my problem? Are there any spares out there? Or do anyone know has an idea how to fix or maybe the exact specifications of the motor?

Thank you
    Yours,
    Markus
    Attached Files

I don't know if this will be of any help, but this is all I have on the Natco 3015. Click image for larger version

Name:	Natco 3015 Schematic Diagram.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	13337

Comment

Thank you Kenneth, my electrician friend tells me this is awesome. I am more on the mechanical side, but he is highly thankful for this scheme.

So, I looked at my projector again today and tried to remove the blower motor, but as I detached the gear wheel from the spindle, I recognized that the motor is still moving pretty good. So I used contact spray to resolve more of the old sticky grease inside and regreased it afterwards. My problem seams to be a different one...

As I looked further I recognized that the whole spinning mechanism of the upper arm is not willing to move, so next step will be to remove the bulb housing to get access to the lower pulley and bearing, as I don't get any good results by just put oil on the axle through the grease gate :-/ but at least seems to be a fixable problem for me atm.

Another problem is the high resistance, that the "plastic" gear wheel creates on the blower motor axle. As there is some kind of gear ratio between the motor spindle and the gear wheel I think this will not be the easiest moving connection anyhow, but the amount of power necessary to move the whole thing makes me think. Does anyone have any experience with that kind of issue? Any recommendations?

I have learned now, that time will make grease pretty sticky, so as I fix the upper arm, I will have an eye on all other mechanical moving parts and in any doubt I will clean and grease them properly.

Comment

Markus

At the end of the war a British company designed a left handed 16mm sound projector which was based on the American Natco, it was called a Carpenter.
        https://wichm.home.xs4all.nl/carpenter.jpg

On UK eBay a company is offering a copy of the instructions and maintenance on the Carpenter. It is issued on a CD, or can be sent via an email. It is possible that this may be of help to you.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instruction...-/361570360899

Maurice

Comment

Maurice

Thank you for you advice, I will order it and see if this can come in handy.

I am looking forward what kind of movies I have with it. Mostly news parade, some Disney stuff, but two are quite interesting: they are labeled "GI's at war: flamethrower" and "air raid on Linz" (a major city in Austria esp. in times of ww2)

Comment

Working...
          X