Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell & Howell 640 info wanted

Hello all

An acquaintance has acquired a B&H Filmosound 640 projector (the last of the blimped B&H machines, introduced ca 1957) and matching speaker and has asked me for help setting it up. I have not yet seen it in real life, only in pics.

I'm only vaguely familiar with these machines myself. Can anyone here confirm a) whether the 640 was 110v only or also made in a 240v model, and b) whether these machines were based around the notorious worm drive mechanism as used in the later B&H projectors.

ta
    Phil

Phil

The 640S was introduced in 1957. It was not the last of the blimp models. There were some AC/DC models badged as "Maritime" mainly for use in ships which continued for some more years.

The 640 was 110 volts with a separate transformer for 200 to 250 volts, connected via a "Y lead". There was also a Compact model (640C) with a small attached loud speaker. It was also capable of record/playback of magnetic sound tracks.

The worm gear was a small metal one which never gave any trouble. There are oiling points, in fact, it was actually supplied with an oiling can!

I hope this will have been of help.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
    X