Elf RM3 Double Band Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elf RM3 Double Band Projector

I have just signed up to join this forum having recently acquired an Elf RM3 Double Band machine. Your excellent library has provided all the documentation I could seem to want for the basic RM3 but I have been unable to find any information on the magnetic film side of the projector.
    Spoke to Kevin Brown and he suggested I join. Can anyone point me in the right direction for any technical information on these double band machines.
    Thanks
    Iain

Iain
    You are slightly confused. A double band projector is one which has provision on its other side for running synchronised perforated tape for sound.
    The Elf RM3 in addition to running optical sound tracks will also play, and record, on 16mm film which has a magnetic stripe.
    This forum has a manual which you can download for free.
    Click on my link below, and then click on 16mm projectors, and then scroll down to "Eiki RST/RT/RM Operators & Service Manuals". Then click on this heading to download the manuals.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/i...y=2#Projectors

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice, but I do not think I am confused. Here (hopefully) is a picture of the magnetic film side of the projector. The RM3 side appears to be standard with the exception that the motor drive belts are doubled up (pulleys both the same size rather than sound / silent). I guess this is to allow for the extra load imposed by driving the magnetic film deck as well as the normal film transport. The drive is by a flexible coupling on the top sprocket shaft.
      The labels on this side read 'double band system' and an address label for elf, slough. I can try and upload more pictures if of any help.
      Has anyone seen one of these before? As I mentioned in my initial post I cannot find any info in the film-tech library.
      Iain

Comment

My apologies, Iain, in all my years, and as an owner of many Elf/Eiki projectors I have never heard or seen of such a projector. I was aware of the Siemens 2000 double band, and also at one time Edric Audio Visual of Gerrards Cross advertised a conversion of the Bell & Howell TQII model for such use. These projectors were used in studios and TV companies for running a film and recording a sound track to it for future transfer. By using magnetic any blunders could be recorded again.

In the 60s I made a film for the South Western Electricity Board and took it to a recording studio in Soho where the then BBC news reader, Richard Baker, did the commentary. This was recorded on magnetic as my film was run. With such a system an immediate playback is possible. After the recording was approved a final composite print was made and the Electricity company used it for training for many years using a standard 16mm sound projector. Later they transferred it to VHS so it had a long life.

I can only assume that Elf also made a few double band, possibly only to order, the RM3 being an ideal model as it can also use "ordinary" magnetic for both playback and record.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks again Maurice. I guess you are right in these being rather rare. Having trawled the internet the only reference I can come up with is an old e'bay advert from about 3 years ago for a similar projector for £750. That and an old advert from 1979 for an Elf sep-mag unit, for fitting to an Elf projector which must be bought in addition. Hopefully someone will come up with some info.
          Iain

Comment

My search for information continues. It seems that in the USA this version of the Eiki projector was marketed by Alan Gordon Enterprises as the Soundmate Compact 200 PBR. Does this ring any bells with anyone?
            Thanks
            Iain

Comment

Greetings Iain!

Your thread about 16mm 'Double Band' projectors and Alan Gordon Enterprises caught my attention.
              I'm a 16mm Double Band-'er' myself, but, not with Eiki equipment.

From a 1983 Alan Gordon catalog, here is the info about the Eiki models you mention.
              It doesn't have a lot of technical info that we projector owners would like to see, but it does sort out the
              way Eiki and Alan Gordon handled the Double Band versions, at least back in 1983.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
              X