Eiki NT1 misaligned claws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eiki NT1 misaligned claws?

My Eiki NT1 16mm projector works really well, steady picture and great sound, but the clatter sound is a bit high in my opinion. I know these Eiki's are louder then the Elmo CL-16s but I'm worried that the clatter sound, being too high (only when running film through it), might result in sprocket hole damage.

I inspected the claws more closely today and notice that the bottom claw seems to be a little too far to the left and not aligning nicely with the sprocket hole on the film. Please see the images below and let me know if you agree and whether/how this may be adjusted (please ignore the broken sprocket holes in the film on the photos - I just grabbed a broken piece of film leader to take the photots)?

EDIT: It doesn't look like one can adjust it suing the two little screws holding the claw in place on the last picture below, but I'm not sure?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	17431
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	17432
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	17433
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	17434
    Last edited by Xander van der Merwe; September 25, 2020, 06:19 PM.

Eiki is DEFINITELY ADJUSTABLE.
    Can't remember the exact procedure off my head however, but it's two screws at the claw pivot for sure. With the back cover off that should be plainly visible.

If my memory is correct care must be taken to adjust this, since this will affect BOTH horizontal&vertical alignment of the claw (x&y position - sort of). Took me a while and several trial&error to get it right.

Comment

There is a service manual under the warehouse section that will explain how to adjust. Does take patience and a few goes to get it adjusted perfectly, it should then be rock steady & no gate chatter.

Comment

Thanks everyone, do you think that the alignment looks wrong by looking at the pictures though?

Comment

Yes, i'd adjust.

Carfully loosen the two screws on the fulcrum control assembly, don't slacken completely, just loosen them slowly & evenly & just enough to move the assembly so you get the claw more central.

The Eiki manuals are a way down the manuals link under warehouse on this forum.
          Last edited by Mark Norton; September 26, 2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Here is a link to the manuals.
            http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/i...m%20Projectors

Maurice

Comment

Thanks again everyone, I've now got the manual and have studied the instructions and have located the fulcrum control assembly and understand more or less how to do it so plan on doing it this coming weekend.

I note however, that the manual also talks about adjusting the claw protrusion as that may become too much over time with wear and tear, but they talk about using the "claw protrusion tool No 320-01T" which I obviously don't have. If the protrusion is too much it will most likely also affect the gate chatter. Does anyone know what the max protrusion length (at the top of its stoke) should be so that I can check that and adjust at the same time if required?

Comment

Claw protrusion is 6 films thickness or just shy of 1mm - if my memory is correct. Someone else please verify/correct this.

IMHO as long as it is NOT so excessive that the claw tip does hit the pressure plate at max. protrusion, or does not clear the flm plane at max. retracttion (and jam the film as the result), that's sort of OK to me.

Comment

Working...
                X