Sepmag question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sepmag question...

Hi all...was presented with a 16mm sepmag reel by a former film school student who wants to extract the audio.

So....what to do?

I have an 16mm optical projector but no magnetic strip projector.

I rarely do 16mm transfer work so have a couple of questions.

1..Can a magnetic strip projector play a sepmag reel?

I'm wondering how the audio is configured on the sepmag?

I'm guessing it's not positioned on the edge of the sepmag, and instead is using the whole width of the film as it's all tape emulsion.

As opposed to using a small strip on the edge of a magnetic 16mm film.

A sepmag should therefore have better audio quality, no?

AND..if a magnetic strip projector can't play a sepmag...what can?...a Steenbeck or a sound follower?...that would work but then can audio be output for transfer or editing.

2...The sepmag has strips of optical film..an old nature doc...intercut??

After viewing a few YouTube videos on the subject I'm assuming the intercut optical was used for editing...possibly for indicating a silent segment or as a rough cut. The film school was probably recycling the old optical film for use in rough cuts or for teaching splicing.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Mark

Mark
    Some years ago I bought a 16mm Swiss Mountain Railway film which had a mute track. With it came a full-coated 16mm magnetic film with the word English written on it. I learnt that this was the practice in Swiss TV stations as the country has three different languages.
    I tried out the film on a projector that had magnetic playback, but no sound came through.
    I then was told that the sound on the film would be full width.
    In the end I had the sound from the film recorded by a Steenbeck onto a CD and play that when running the (picture) film. As it's mainly a commentary and sound effects there is no need for actual lip-sync.
    I hope this may be of help to you.

Maurice

Comment

Hi Mark,

Similar to the point made by Maurice, the Steenbeck is probably the most available method of playing 16mm sep mag audio tape (though some less common machines have this facility also).

I generally record straight of the speaker with mine, but it does have an audio output at the back too. Interestingly, most earlier Steenbecks have 16mm sep mag, optical, and combined magnetic sound options, all very useful. But keeping the machine going is a bit of a worry for me.

I think the 16mm sep mag sound is much better than combined magnetic, which even in 16mm I have sometimes found to be quite poor on old film.

When it comes to synching (marrying), I usually wait for a firm door closing in dramas, as there is usually a distinct click to match up the sound and film. Whereas I am a bit slow at synching to lips alone.

Comment

thanks, Maurice and Ozzie...pretty much what I thought...the Steenbeck is probably the most common machine out there capable of handling the sepmag tape.

Just a matter of finding someone who has one...a commercial transfer outfit...or a individual like you, Ozzie...who is willing to help out.

I find it interesting that Steenbeck is still in business...wondering if they are still manufacturing new units or simply offering maintenance on all the existing units...there must be thousands still out there...and who knows how many in use or functioning?

Comment

AND...FYI...just looked at the Steenbeck site and they now offer flatbeds for rent!! It sounds like they are still making new units and have moved from Germany to the Netherlands.

SO...now to find someone on this side of the pond!!

Comment

Mark, Failing that I would have thought a double band projector would be able to play the Sepmag film if you can get access to one of those. I know the Elf / Eiki projector I have can play back the magnetic film either through the projectors own amplifier or through its 'line out' socket. Afraid I am in the UK so not much help.
            Iain

Comment

Thanks, Iain...I'm thinking the Steenbeck will definitely be more common here in Canada...or at least was more common.

I'll be doing some searching for my client...not sure if she will want to pay up for the transfer. We'll see...

Comment

16mm Sepmag tracks can be either centre or edge-aligned (or both); neither of these will line up properly with the sound head on a 16mm projector. the best way to get the audio transferred will be using a Steenbeck table equipped with a two-track mag head. I have access to one here in London but I guess that's not much use to you ?

Comment

Hi Phil...well, I'm only about a year and a half late with a thank you...but thanks for the reply. Life got in the way but now I'm back!!

In the end had the audio transferred in Toronto via a Steenbeck. My customer had to pay for that but was very happy in the end

Comment

Working...
                  X