Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information about Bell & Howell Model 613 powering

Dear all,

this being my first post on this forum (I couldn't find an introduction topic), let me start by stating that my name is Hans, and that I am from the Netherlands.

I, or rather my father recently bought a Bell & Howell projector model 613 but without any cable. I then obtained a G.B. Equipments transformer, from 200/220/240 to 110 Volts, also without cables. I've seen some references that this transformer could connect to the projector. I then found 2 5-pin Jones connectors which I think could connect the transformer to the projector. I searched the internet a bit for more information about the projector and transformer, but could not find the answers to my questions. Hence, I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me on this:
    - is it true that the projector uses both 110 and 220 V, for lamp and motor? I've seen information stating that some newer model 613s use 220 only. Mine just says 'Model 613, 110 Volts, 6 Amps', so I am not sure if I should feed it 220 also, but then again: why have a 5-pin connector if the voltages for lamp and motor are the same?
    - how should I connect the two Jones connectors, i.e. which pins should connect? I suppose the round one is grounding, two rectangular ones are for the lamp, and the other two for the motor?
    - I need to hook up the transformator to the net, but, as said, I do not have the power cable. On the transformator there is a 3-pin connection (see photo), but I don't know the name, so I cannot look a replacement. Does anyone know?

Thank you for any information you could offer.

Hans

Hans

1) The Jones plug is a four pin. The round pin is there to ensure the mating socket goes on the correct way.
    2) Looking at the plug on the projector the pin numbers are as follows:-

Top left 13 = Earth
    Bottom left 14 = Neutral
    Top right 15 = 110V (Lamp)
    Bottom right 16 = 110V (Motor)

3) The four pin plug was used on most Bell & Howell projectors in the 1940-60 period. The lamp had its own supply as this was used for change-overs between two projectors.
    4) As regarding the transformer, you may have to "Hot Wire" unless you can find a suitable connector.
    5) I suggest you use a meter which can read AC Volts and continuity to confirm the above information.

I hope you will find the above useful.

Maurice

Comment

Thank you Maurice, this does help me a lot. My AC-meter is standing by..

I still have one follow-up question: do you perhaps know the name of the type of round 3-pin connector for the transformator? This would help me finding a replacement.

Hans

Comment

Hans
        ​​​​​​I have never seen such a connector, but a Google search has revealed the following line mounted 3 pin socket. Do you think it could fit?
        https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/indus...ctors/3594390/

Maurice

Comment

Dear Maurice,

thank you again. I think that I have something different - see attached photo which is much better than the previous one. Is it something recognizable?

Hans

Comment

Hans
            I have never seen anything like this.
            As I said before, I think you should consider "Hot Wiring".

Maurice

Comment

Hans

I have been thinking about this situation.

If this was my problem, I would remove the existing input plug and fit an IEC 3 pin chassis mounting plug:-
              https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/compute...SABEgK_R_D_BwE

For the mains lead connection, I would fit an IEC 3 pin line mounted socket:-
              https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/compute...972046227.html

Maurice

Comment

Thank you again Maurice.

I will keep on trying to find the original connector but your solution is definitely my fallback option

Hans

Comment

Hans
                  You may find the following interesting.

After 1945 GB Equipments entered into a 25 year agreement with Bell & Howell to produce Bell & Howell equipment in the UK, the first models appeared in 1948. Most projectors needed a supply of 110 volts so a separate transformer was required for UK voltages. A few models were designed for AC/DC use and these operated direct from UK mains without a transformer.

In 1961 completely new projectors appeared superseding the wooden blimp sound projectors, these were for AC only and worked directly from UK mains voltage and did not need a separate transformer.

Thus, after about 13 years the three-core transformer lead was no longer required, and this, after some 59 years is why these leads are so difficult to find.

The four pin Jones plugs/sockets were continued for a few more years and this is why this type of lead is more commonly found on eBay and the like.

Maurice

Comment

Hello Maurice,

this surely is interesting information. My projector is 110V - that's written on an identification plate. Meanwhile, I managed to find two Jones connectors which I think should be able to connect transformer and projector, and also a connector that will connect to transformer to 220V. The latter appears to be called Belling Lee L1349. I could find them on ebay, can't wait for them to arrive. Meanwhile, I already tested it hotwired, and it works. Things can hardly get any better!

Hans

Comment

Hans
                      have a look at this on eBay. Might be the best option for you if you can get it at close to the price.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-G...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

thank you Terry. A nice piece of equipment but really all I am looking for is a single Belling Lee connector - I haven't been able to find the correct one yet, though.

Comment

Hans Veldkamp WELCOME! Very interesting thread!!! Love your enthusiasm and persistence locating the connector.

Comment

Working...
                          X