16mm prints with low sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mm prints with low sound

Hi .i just wanted to know what would make a 16mm print of a film have low sound such as even when the projector is at full volume it can bearly be heard .and its not a projector fault as other films fine and tried on other machines with same problem happening.i know its probably not reversable but just wanted to know the cause.
    thanks.

nigel, usually dupe prints, whats the picture like?

Comment

The picture is good .shame as a realy good film.

Comment

Dupe films have low sound. I've had dupes look super sharp but have low sound. You can tell if dupe if it has print in splices or not sharp compared to original contrast . Lighter than normal contrast low sound uneven sound. Specks on soundtrack strip

Comment

Had seen some (badly faded) prints with really low sound. Possibly due to inadequate/non-existence silver in the track. No silver to block IR light >> no modulation >> poor/no sound.
          Speaking about lousy lab work...

Comment

Nigel
            Is it a variable density track or a variable area? Have you examined the track? It may be very light and in places almost totally white.
            I recently bought a feature on eBay that had a very poor variable area track. It was nearly white with almost an imperceptible track. It needed full volume just to hear a whisper.
            I returned it for a full refund. It was one of those sellers "I do not have a 16mm projector, so sold as seen".

Maurice

Comment

Working...
            X