Bucket developing Kodak Vision3 colour movie film. 2 fails & a "success"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket developing Kodak Vision3 colour movie film. 2 fails & a "success"

If you are a lover of quality 16mm amateur film, now is the time to look away!
    I bought this super c1933 Kinecam 6 camera a few months back, and I've had some success shooting B&W film and developing it in a bucket in the shed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KinecamB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	2474

Click image for larger version  Name:	KinecamA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	2472
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Kinecam2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.2 KB ID:	2473

Last week I tried colour film developing for the first time with 20 feet or so from a 400 feet reel of movie film, Kodak Vision3. It doesn't say when it expired but I'm hoping the 08 sticker means it's 'only' 12 years out of date

Click image for larger version  Name:	KinecamC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	2475

Using the Tetenal C41 Kit at the alternative temperature of 30 degrees rather than 38 degrees, I got this result, using bucket development. Fail!

Click image for larger version  Name:	colour1n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	2476

The negatives were extremely thin, and with a heavy blue cast, and worst of all, everything was blurred. The main problem is that the claw hadn't engaged with the film so every frame was streaked like this.

Some more research on the Vision 3 film revealed that standard C-41 processing is suboptimal at best, and disastrous at worst, as it's supposed to be developed using ECN-2 chemistry. The Eastman Colour Negative (ECN) process is the standard development method for all modern motion picture colour negative developing. Using C-41 can lead to thin negatives, unpredictable results and strange colour casts.

You can buy ECN-2 kits online but they are expensive for the small quantities I need, but RA4 chemistry can be used as a substitute, so I've ordered some of that to test out. Another suggestion is that Vision3 must be developed at the right temperature if you use C41, presumably that's 38 degrees, not the alternative 30 degrees.

Also, it's designed for indoor filming (T for Tungsten) so you need a filter for outdoor filming otherwise everything will be blue.
    I got an 85B filter, held it in front of the lens and shot a few feet of some glass ornaments with the sun illuminating them from behind against the blue sky.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KinecamD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	2478

then developed the film in C-41 at 38 degrees.

Result: fail again! The claw still wasn't engaging properly so everything is smeared. But the filter has helped with the colour cast, and although the negatives are still very thin, it's an improvement, of sorts:

Click image for larger version  Name:	colour4w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	2477

And a close crop suggests the film is not too grainy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	colour4wc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	2479

For one filming session the claw actually engaged properly with the film, and using the 85B filter (but 30 degree development) there is a film to share! It's thin again, and it has lots of weird colour shifts, but hopefully this will be addressed by changing to RA4 chemistry next time, and developing at 38 degrees.

And on a positive note, I adapted a 1930s Mickey Mouse projector and it worked really well for the telecine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kinecam10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	2480

Here are a couple of still frames from it. I asked my wife to "act about a bit" and she always throws herself into the part. My stepson looks suitably embarrassed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	raWeb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	2481

Click image for larger version  Name:	ra2web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.0 KB ID:	2482
    And here's a link to the final video of the result. Only some very short sections could be saved in the telecine as some areas were too thin, so each clip is repeated to make it last.

Well it's a start...

https://youtu.be/vHZMLnV6fxM

That roll of Vision 320T is probably more like 20 years old. It's the first version of the Vision stock, assuming the film in the can matches that label. And Big K stopped selling 2R 16mm camera film at least a decade ago.

So I think you should count getting any usable images as a success. Have you thought about getting a Lomo tank?

cheers
    Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil, that's useful to know, and makes me feel better about the fails! I'm trying some Fujicolor movie film stock, made in 2013 so hoping for better results. Lomo tank: I received my spiral today! No tank, just the top and bottom spiral, which I can hopefully rig up and use in the darkroom

Comment

Working...
      X