Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eiki Slimline SNT-2

Hi Guys,

I’m just a beginner in this hobby, I already got some super 8mm projector and movies, but today I just bought locally this Eiki Slimline SNT2, I’m just wondering if some of you can write some pointers and tips for this machine.

I already clean, lube and repair the focus weak point, anything else should I check or pay attention ?

Thanks,
    Gustavo

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAB67C12-3CD3-4840-A6B6-1D4A39BE120B.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	25987 Click image for larger version

Name:	A9939A2A-AEBC-43B1-9BA6-6FCA2344C042.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	25988
    Attached Files

Gustavo
    Keep the lamp HIGH/LOW switch on the LOW position to preserve life of the lamp. This position is quite suitable for shows at home on a small screen.
    Spare lamps can live under the spring on the hinging flap.
    Keep spare fuses in the small receptacle.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice,

They look pretty beefy machines, well built and for last, will try some movies and check all his functions. Just in case find this car large belt.

Gustavo

Comment

A great projector which I eventually converted to 9.5mm sound. Difficult and shifting those two sandwitched drive sprockets was a nightmare.
        Keep it 16 a great machine although the genuine drive belt can be tricky to find.

Comment

Congratulations - especially as a beginner you did very well to home in on a SNT-2! They don't turn up very frequently, except perhaps in the USA and Germany, so it was very fortunate that you found one locally. It sounds like you've quickly developed, maintenance skills so there's little I'd suggest. You probably won't need to, but don't move the magnetic sound head if you can possibly avoid it, as I know from experience that it's extremely difficult to get it back in the correct position.

Comment

• Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the tip, I’m a civil engineer but always liked electronics and mechanics, among other hobbies like vintage audio and pinball machines, fortunately I learned how to maintain and repair my stuff, not be to invasive if is not needed it.

When you said move the magnetic head you mean by the switch to change between optical and magnetic or “really “ messing up with that head.

In the audio world like cassette decks you can’t do that, messing with the azimuth etc unless you know what are you doing and have the proper tools for it, oscilloscope, frequency generator.......

Gustavo

Click image for larger version  Name:	A43F31FE-021E-4047-945A-180CFD123D1F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	26071 Click image for larger version  Name:	34172172-4DA1-4C4E-88E9-64B3E59E76B3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	26070

Last edited by Gustavo Fernandez Johnson; January 17, 2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Gustavo - I see what you mean, vintage audio and pinball machines sounds a great combination!

I mean the head itself, not the switch. Moving the switch reasonably regularly will probably be beneficial. I moved the magnetic head on a Eiki SSL - I think it was in order to address an issue with old 'sticky' grease that caused it to move sluggishly when the switch was moved. It was something I wouldn't do lightly, so I must have concluded that the problem was extremely difficult to address with the head in position. When I subsequently tried hard to put it back, it was incredibly difficult because even if the position was about right, the angle at which it's pointing is variable. A trial and error approach didn't seem to even get close to restoring good sound, although I once managed this with an Eiki optical sound head. I'll probably need to send it to a repair expert.

Comment

Adrian,

Sorry to heard that, the playback head settings are a bit difficult, it may need a good cleaning with IPA and demag, it may be possible the head is at the end of his life, don't know how hard are they in comparison with reel to reel or cassette decks, hope some experts help us with that.

Regarding this beautiful world I'm a beginner, I got the 16mm projector but not movies yet to really try if its working properly... I really hope it does, its not just enjoin the film, its to see a vintage mechanical machine working in tight rhythm.

Gustavo

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                  ...A great projector which I eventually converted to 9.5mm sound...
                  I have an SNT-3 which was converted to 9.5mm sound by a firm in France many years ago. It has the advantage of also being able to record on striped film.

Maurice

Comment

Gustavo - if you enjoy bringing projectors back to optimal fuctioning, and you develop your skills, you'll find there's plenty of demand for them - but you probably already have a full time job!

There's no danger that anything on my SSL-2 is near the end of it's life, as I bought it because it was virtually mint and all the indications were that it was practically unused. But of course even projectors in that state often benefit from a service, so at least that can also be done when I seek help in relation to the magnetic head.

Comment

Nice machines Maurice.

Gustavo. If you see the correct drive belt buy it as can be difficult to find. I got 2 slimline machines to make one good record model neither had belts but by pure luck found a small supply of new ones helping others in need back then as well.

Comment

Not sure about other series, but for NST series like what I have does use universally standard XL timing belt - 320XL to be precise.
                        Try finding it, you'll see literally tons of this belt anywhere. No need to worry about this belt's availability at all.

The main motor drive belt is another story however. I'm yet to find any compatible replacement for that up until now. Hope it would last long enough - about my lifetime at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
                          Not sure about other series, but for NST series like what I have does use universally standard XL timing belt - 320XL to be precise.
                          Try finding it, you'll see literally tons of this belt anywhere. No need to worry about this belt's availability at all.

The main motor drive belt is another story however.​ I'm yet to find any compatible replacement for that up until now. Hope it would last long enough - about my lifetime at least.
                          Thanks for the info, I also found tons of belts everywhere, mine is very good condition, but I will buy some replacements.

Pretty happy with “The Beast” Eiki, very well built.

Gustavo

Click image for larger version  Name:	E894B7D9-B2E1-4602-B026-EA8CDB87339D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	348.7 KB ID:	26553

Comment

Working...
                          X