Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap bell & Howell Projector

Hi,
    So I have a Bell & Howell 640 projector that I cant power as I don't have a transformer for it. SO i have decided to scrap it and take out all the parts and use the projector box for something else since it is a nice box. Does anyone know what I can do with the part or can I just throw them away?

Michael
    What a pity you don't live in the UK as I would love to have it.
    The fabulous 640 was introduced in 1957 and was optical/magnetic, for recording there were two separate plug-in heads. One for edge stripe and the other for full stripe.
    Why not just leave it as it is and you can admire it for years to come, or perhaps a transformer may come your way.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice - I've never heard of two track 16mm magnetic sound, but presumably that's essentially what you're describing? If so, how wide would the edge stripe be and how unusual are such projectors? I suppose one could be modified to present sound in stereo via an external amp!

Comment

Adrian

The 640 has two interchangeable magnetic heads, they can only be inserted in their correct position. They are marked for identity on the end cap of each head.

On single perforated 16mm film the magnetic sound track occupies all the available space and is 0.1 inch wide. It is known as "Full Stripe".

On double perforated 16mm film the magnetic sound track occupies only a small section between the film edge and the perforations. It is 0.025 inch wide. It is known as "Edge Stripe".

Maurice

Comment

Hi Maurice,

yea i think i will keep it. Maybe something turns up

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rademeyer View Post
            .....Yea I think I will keep it. Maybe something turns up.....
            Michael
            A very wise move.
            At one time it was the king of its class, and it does not suffer any trouble with its worm.

Maurice

Comment

My Dads favorite was a 640 which he had for years with fond memories taking it to be serviced in London. I later years I used to take it to a convention (non film) three times a year 300 miles away using public transport, then 300 miles back home again lifting it on and off a grand total of 6 trains and 2 taxis. OUCH!
              Golden years Maurice :-)

Comment

Lee
                1) Projector
                2) Loud Speaker
                3) Transformer
                4) Films & Spools
                5) Screen
                How did you carry all that lot?

Maurice

Comment

Hi Folks,
                  You may remember my previous query on my Bauer P6, which thanks to your mutual advice, is running well. However I seem to have a problem with the lens fogging up, very strange! Its the gate end of the lens. never seen this before on any of the projectors I have. More condensation than fogging I suppose. Any thoughts please?

Comment

Working...
                  X