Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer p6 projector condensation problem

Hi Folks,
    You may remember my previous posts regarding my Bauer p6 automatic, which advice was gratefully received. The projector is running well but I keep getting condensation on the lens outer, (the end nearest the gate). Any advice please?

Patrick

It depends on how and where you store the projector and where you use it. Cold storage conditions, and then being taken into a
    warm room may cause condensation on a lens. But this will usually go when you switch on the lamp which instantly warms the lens.

Some years ago I did Christmas party film shows. Taking the projector on a cold winter's day in the car and then after a long drive going into a warm village hall would result in the lens getting condensation on it.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice, The projector sits in a warm room permanently. I am using it to re check all my film collection, so its in constant use. its very strange, and the condensation builds up when the projector is running. I leave the lens gate open when its not in use, just to see if that improves it, but no luck so far.

Comment

Patrick
        That is very strange. Perhaps other members can offer a solution.

Maurice

Comment

I have the same problem with a standard 8 (Siemens) projector. It stays in my living room with other projectors that don't get condensation, and it also appears sometimes during the projection. I noticed, unlike you, that letting the lens gate open improves the situation but not prevent condension all the time. The only solution that works for me is to keep an hair dryer at hand reach and to use it, if needed, at the lower position, at a reasonnable distance from the lens (gate side) and for a few seconds. Usually, there is only one or two hair drying needed.

Comment

Greetings Patrick, Maurice and Dom!

Patrick,
            Your P6 question caught my attention as I have a Bauer 16mm P6 (manual threading) that I brought back to life from the dead last year. Very successful operation.

I read your post and couldn't figure out how that "condensation" could happen on a P6. I automatically assumed that you were talking about the 'projection lens'. I looked at my P6, the lens carrier, and then looked at all the pictures I took while reviving my P6 and all the manuals I have.

I've never had that problem with a P6 before. I have had problems like Maurice described with taking a very cold projector into a warm room, turning on the lamp and getting a big foggy blob
            on the screen from the condensation on the lens. When the projector warmed up, the condensation disappeared and all was well ....... on with the show!

Thinking about this on and off all morning, I had that 'wait a minute' thought..... are you talking about the 'condenser lens' that is in the lamp house? The lens on the far-right side of the lamp/condenser carrier with its flat side facing the gate? Is that the lens (yellow arrow) you are having trouble with the 'condensation' on?

​​​

Looking at service manuals, your P6 and my P6 have the same lamp and condensers with a 24v 250 watt EHJ bulb.

Let me know if I'm on the right track with this. There is a solution for the problem if I am.

Charlie

image widget

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for your response. I will try the hair dryer trick, thanks Dom. as to the lens, Charlie, its the actual lens, not the lamp house. ? thanks again for all your input folks, much appreciated. I have to say, this P6 is a real work horse, I have just finished re-checking all my 200 odd films, and it just keeps soldiering on, so apart from the condensation mystery, I am well pleased with my 70 pound purchase!!

Comment

Patrick
                You may be interested in the following site:-
                Bauer P6 (olafs-16mm-kino.de)

Maurice

Comment

This might be a stupid question but does it only happen when you are projecting a film or do you still get condensation when the projector is running without any film going through?

Comment

Hi Iain, never thought of that! I will give it a try and see. I know what you mean, maybe the cleaning agent on the film is causing it? Thanks. And thanks Maurice, I have already been on the Olafs site in some detail.

Comment

On my standard/regular projector, I didn't try without film running. The original lamps tend to be very hot and are expensive whent they surface so I tried to save their utilisation life. I found now a lamp that is supposed to last for 750 hours but it's still heating the projector a lot so I stick to light it only when needed. As a result, I cannot answer your question, Iain.

Comment

As a matter of interest, I saw a photo of the rank Aldis Automatic, and it looks exactly like the Bauer P6 Automatic, was this an 'under licence' job ?

Comment

When their 25 year agreement ran out with Bell & Howell in the early 70s, Rank Industries turned to Bauer, and lo and behold the birth of Rank Aldis 16mm projectors .
                          I have two. One with the A1/223 EHJ lamp, and a later one with the A1/259 ELC lamp

Maurice

Comment

Patrick. Had this problem improved by leaving a lens in direct summer sunlight. But with the lack of that at the moment I would get a small bag, pop the lens in it with some new Silica gel sachets and tie it off. May help or may not but worth a go.
                            I store my best lenses this way over winter where humidity can be a problem.

Comment

Thanks Lee, I will do that

Comment

Working...
                              X