A Silent Musical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Silent Musical

At the present time there is on eBay a seller who has a "Vintage 16mm Cine Film Compilation of 1960s Entertainers & Singers Colour Sound".
    There are several photos of the spool and can together with two pieces of film. However, the two pieces show silent film, i.e. double perforated stock.
    I can only assume that there is a mistake somewhere, perhaps two inaccurate photos have been included.
    Vintage 16mm Cine Film, Compilation of 1960s Entertainers & Singers Colour Sound | eBay

Maurice

Maybe just the leader Maurice?

Comment

Patrick, the pictures clearly shows a silent double perforations film. Here is a picture. One of the perforations side looks to be brown but there are very few chances it wouls be a magnetic strip. The seller's description is : "
      A vintage 16mm cine film, which is (according to a handwritten note inside) "A compilation of some of the best entertainers of the 1960s". It is in colour and with sound. It looks to be short bursts of various different artists and singers. I have shown the first two artists in the pictures."
      ​

Comment

Dominique
        As the seller says that "it looks to be short bursts of different artists and singers", this gives the impression that he has not actually projected the film.
        If it is a sound film the two shots shown would make a nasty noise from the loudspeaker when they passed through a sound projector

Maurice

Comment

I completely agree, Maurice.

Comment

This seller regularly lists film and equipment on eBay so he ought to know the difference between sound and silent film, but the photos show definitely no optical track and no obvious magnetic track. Anyone interested in bidding should ask the question.

Comment

The "according to a handwritten note inside" words suggest the seller did not project the film. I own two 16 mm silent films that had obviousely a separate, now lost, soundtrack, on a tape. It may be the same for this film.

Comment

That's a possibility Dom. I can't believe that a musical film would be silent. That would sort of defeat the object.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dominique De Bast;.....I own two 16 mm silent films that had obviously a separate, now lost, soundtrack, on a tape. It may be the same for this film.[/QUOTE]

The seller has now advertised another "musical" on silent stock. This time he acknowledges that the film is silent. As Dominique says above, perhaps the sound was on a separate tape.

Vintage 16mm Cine Film Reel "Musical Artists of 1960s" Frankie Vaughan Fay Craig | eBay

Maurice

Comment

Working...
                  X