16mm on Std8 stock???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mm on Std8 stock???

I came across something this week that I had not seen before so maybe someone could enlighten me.
    Imagine a reel of STD 8mm prior to processing and splitting.
    The 50ft reel was at first glance double perf silent 16, something I had seen many times before, except that the spocket hole spacing was as per 8mm. It was FULL FRAME and lovely clean images but it wasn't going to run on the projector I use for silent 16 telecine as it seemed the projector didn't like 50% more sprockets each side, so it was either a scanner job or nothing. The customer, not overly fussed about this oddball box found in a family house clearance, opted for the latter. On the box hand written was a name and "Experimental".
    Can anyone give me a clue what this might have been.

[QUOTE=David Strelitz; On the box hand written was a name and "Experimental" [/QUOTE]

I would suggest that the answer could be in the word "Experimental".

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post

I would suggest that the answer could be in the word "Experimental".

Maurice
      Sanity restored! I was worried I had missed something I should have known.

Comment

Sounds like a standard roll of Dbl 8 film being run through a 16mm camera.

So it is basically a silent 16mm film with a spare set of unused sprockets midway. Shouldn't be a problem running it through a projector, provided that you thread that in-frame from the start.

Comment

I agree that the idea was workable, other than being commercially processed.
          If the developed film had been sent to such a lab it would have assumed it was double 8 and the film would have been returned split.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
          X