Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega rare

Mega rare https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373487906723
    is this the one of the rarest films ever the seller obviously thinks so he also has more mega rare titles that will cost you £5000 each .only for the mega rich .

Actually I met that seller some years ago at a convention and had some correspondence with him. Some of his prices seem extraordinary, but he's a smart guy and I think he knows what he's doing. He seems to home in on material which often doesn't have broad appeal, but may have exceptional appeal to certain people who wouldn't tend to be typical film collectors. He will often accept offers that may be considerably less than the starting price, but he told me that he finds buyers paying high sums frequently enough to make his selling strategy successful.

Comment

Arnt all amateur films rare? These will all be one offs. I cant see why anyone would even consider paying out thousands for it, even hundred's.
      eBay has seen films being listed for thousands of pounds on a regular basis and i dont think it does this hobby any good at all.

Comment

Of course it is upto the seller to ask what they think an item is worth .but it then makes some belive all films have high value .but then i guess we will only pay what we think is the right price for us .i just thought it seemed a lot of money for what is on offer thats all.

Comment

Whether it's rare or not, the seller intends to find a buyer judging by the sales pitch and the number of frame grabs. Reminds me of the old film trailers that promised much and delivered little.

Comment

I always thought these kinda "home movies" would be treasured only by its owners/their descendants.
            In other words - it's of no value AT ALL to others.

Well this proves that it's not always the case then.

But at another extreme end of spectrum - a customer once sent me a box full of super 8 films to be transferred (probably about 3,000-4,000ft in total). After all done and payment received they told me "Just send me the USB stick but don't ship those films back. They are all yours now."

Although it's been a few years since then but I still have that box kept somewhere in my attic. Just in case they eventually changed their mind...
            (Or should I make 10$ a reel of them in the flea market instead? Easy 200$ at least...)

Comment

The person buying this film may be an "over-excited nipper" (to quote the seller)

Comment

I would have thought with that price tag the postage would be free

Comment

Some interesting shots on there, but if you paid that for it, then wanted to sell it on again you may struggle to get £250 even.

Maybe a little more than that, but also maybe less.

There is maybe a bit of the I own it syndrome going on here.

IE when a person owns somethining they see its value as super high, partly is they own it !!!

However on the flip side people who function that way, more often than not, like very keen prices, and even more money off when they buy things.

Now when they then own those good value things they got a nice deal on, the value suddenly now soars way way up.

Not sure if there is a name for it.

But crikey £6000 !!!

But also very very nice footage.

Best Mark.

Comment

Working in Media we oft supply home movies for broadcast and I wish we could command such daft prices and retire spending my time projecting at home also making more S8 films in my spare time.

Reality is networks do not pay well on the whole and I've been happy to see some pretty unique footage go at modest cost seeing a airing instead of collecting dust now viewed by an audience. Some of my Kodacolor home movies of the stars which I collected over the years coming from entertainment in youth have been aired including Buster Keaton in colour. When I go skywards they should have all be used in one form or another I reely hope.

I do sometimes wonder if some reely do love film, or is it all about the money? Thankfully they are still the minority.....

Comment

could this be the infamous 'Vlad The Impaler'??

Comment

I wonder if a stock footage house like Getty Images would pick something like that up? For us humble collectors the price quite steep, but for royalty free 1960s footage they can turn a profit on... it would probably be a financial no-brainer. From what I can tell from the pics it's very nice footage that was clearly shot by someone who had a good eye. I'll bet it would cut into a documentary rather well.

Comment

There are certain scenes will be the interest of the archivers. I would say any landscape of a city/town will have high value as long as it was shot nicely (not shaking). The parade of something will be also interesting as well as any automotive or airplane festival. Any birthday or wedding is out of interest so just forget about it.

I believe if you have a footage of war no matter it is shaking or not, would be valued above $500...my guess...

Comment

Working...
                          X