X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting L&H.

By way of a companion piece to Osi’s 8mm topic
    https://16mmfilminfo.com/lhfilms.html

That was an interesting article Michael. I'm trying to determine more about the six examples I have on 16mm. Two are easy as they have a Blackhawk title card and have a variable area soundtrack (Busy Bodies and Another Fine Mess). I presume these would have been struck during the 1970s?

The other four (Hoosegow, Twice Two, Scram, Dirty Work) all start with the L&H logo and have variable density sound tracks, so I presume these are Film Classics, struck in the 1950s for TV? Hoosegow does have a BBFC card at the start.

Comment

Is that link a complete list of L&H shorts on 16mm ? As i have two which are not there.

Comment

I have two Laurel & Hardy on 16mm which were produced for TV by Regal Television Corporation. As they are not complete features their titles have been altered. Each runs about 25 minutes.

"Do It Yourself" is the last section of "Block-Heads". Starting where Ollie hopes to prepare a slap up meal for Stanley, the loaning of Ollie's pyjamas to Mrs Gilbert, and her husband's return with his new elephant gun . After his shots are let off outside the apartment building it sends scores of half-dressed men leaping from every window. It's on Kodak stock with a date code of 1958. Picture and sound are excellent.

"Alter Ego" is a condensed version of "A Chump At Oxford". The students prank of sending the boys into the maze has been removed, as has the mistaking the Dean's apartment for their own. Some of the incidents with the window dropping on Stan's head may have been abbreviated. It's on Agfa Gevaert stock which does not have a date code. Picture and sound are excellent.

The editing has been very well done, each film moves well and gives no indication that they are not complete, providing a viewer does not know the original films.

Comment

Similarly I have 'Watta Stir' which is an abridged version of 'Pardon Us' which I have listed on EBay at the moment.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333925212751

Comment

The two i have are the bodyguard and criminals at large.Both are 800ft silent but i’m not shore who released them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Moffatt View Post
              The two i have are the bodyguard and criminals at large.Both are 800ft silent but i’m not shore who released them.
              CRIMINALS AT LARGE was, I believe, available in 8mm from Atlas/Coast/Carnival (take your pick, LOL). Possibly they had it in 16mm also?

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                I have two Laurel & Hardy on 16mm which were produced for TV by Regal Television Corporation. As they are not complete features their titles have been altered. Each runs about 25 minutes.

"Do It Yourself" is the last section of "Block-Heads". Starting where Ollie hopes to prepare a slap up meal for Stanley, the loaning of Ollie's pyjamas to Mrs Gilbert, and her husband's return with his new elephant gun . After his shots are let off outside the apartment building it sends scores of half-dressed men leaping from every window. It's on Kodak stock with a date code of 1958. Picture and sound are excellent.

"Alter Ego" is a condensed version of "A Chump At Oxford". The students prank of sending the boys into the maze has been removed, as has the mistaking the Dean's apartment for their own. Some of the incidents with the window dropping on Stan's head may have been abbreviated. It's on Agfa Gevaert stock which does not have a date code. Picture and sound are excellent.

The editing has been very well done, each film moves well and gives no indication that they are not complete, providing a viewer does not know the original films.
                -----

These are two good candidates for cut-downs: the last part of BLOCK-HEADS is basically the old two-reeler UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE; the dinner party sequence of A CHUMP AT OXFORD was added later to bring it up to feature length. The original "Streamliner" edition was just the Oxford section, which would have required the cutting you describe to fit into a 20-25 minute segment.

Comment

Working...
                X