Bauer/Rank Aldis engineer in UK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer/Rank Aldis engineer in UK???

I have a Bauer P6 which was converted/Rebuilt for 25fps Telecine many moons (and in my case kilos) ago. Went to use it today but the optical sound is not happening. The Lamp is fine but there is no output. Not sure the last time it was used as all the 16mm I have done in the last year or so has been 16 silent on the other projector. I know that Kevin Brown doesnt touch these and a guy I used a few year ago has retired due to ill health.
    Any other brave souls who can fault find the audio issue?

Thanks
    David

This might be of not much use, but just in case...

As a last measure, it should be possible to tap out from the solar cell output, and directly feed that up to microphone's preamp input of any audio system. You'll definitely get some sort of audio then.
    This is exactly how to get the audio out of 35mm projector - since most of that does not have any amplifier/preamplifier built in - external audio amplification would be almost always needed.
    A resistor may be needed to be connected across the cell to limit the current flow somewhat. Can't remember the recommended value for the moment (tens or hundreds of k ohm or whereabout). You may have to experiment that.

By the way what's the 25 fps telecine modification made to it? I may consider doing other way round - converting my existing conventional projector to "telecine" ones.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I suspect I am not that brave...but never say never.
      As for the Mods, the guy who did it, did a lot of mods for Telecine and serviced and rebuilt 16 and 35mm projectors. My original 16fps Rank Aldis was also converted by him, having a rheostat on the motor to bring the speed to 16.66 fps (3 bladed shutter and 50i).
      The 25fps machine had a synchronous motor new cogs on Motor and shutter spindle with a tooth belt and a 2 bladed shutter. The motor added a couple of Kilos to the weight and is not the quietest but on the few occasions it has been used, it does the biz. To accomodate the motor a modified back was used and an audio output socket, which I assume was to give a better impedance output to the mixer.
      Last edited by David Strelitz; April 02, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

David
        This may be a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it. Is the internal speaker turned off?
        I refer to the three position switch at the rear marked 0, I, II. This controls the internal speaker.

0 = Off
        I = Half output
        II = Full output

Comment

Maurice, I dont think that this is an option on this machine as the loudspeaker was removed in order to fit the motor along with the other mods. Nothing coming out from Din OP and the lead works fine on another projector. I dont think my other unmodified P6 has that switch.
          Thanks
          David

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6 25fps.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	31486

Comment

David
            Oh dear.
            I have a Bauer P8 Universal Professional and two Rank Aldis.
            I have checked my log book and see that one of the Rank Aldis (later model with ELC lamp) had no sound some three years ago.
            The fault was rectified by replacing the bridge rectifier and adjusting the supply volts by a well known engineer.
            Perhaps a fault like this could be rectified by an engineer who can handle faults in radio sets.

Comment

These days I find engineers who will take on something "off piste" to be very rare, retired or no longer with us.
              If only I had moved on from spaying Servisol on noisy pots!

Comment

Working...
              X