ELF/ Eiki film tail out leader damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELF/ Eiki film tail out leader damage

Running my Elf (RM2) over the decades I sometimes see the projector ‘attack’ the tail out leader, basically because the film restorer comes into play. This is after the film has left the supply reel and is entering the gate. It only happens on some films. The condition of the leader does not determine this action as I recently replaced a leader when this happened with new stock, reloaded the film near the end to test, and again it happened. I used to think it was down to the way the film was tucked into the reel insertion slit to hold the film when rewinding back onto the supply reel as in the past the film would sometimes be yanked out of it causing stress, and bringing the restorer into action. So for decades I have not tucked the film in, but instead let the tension of the film keep it in place, but as this still happens it was not a solution anyway. Generally speaking I tend to stop the film before the tail has run out and remove the film manually. I was wondering if others have seen this happening and have determined what is the cause. Is it the curve of the film if the spool has a small centre diameter?

The TQ3 never has this problem!

This often happens on the earlier EIki/Elf auto load projectors. As the tail leaves the feed sprocket it gets caught and tries to go round the sprocket again, this causes film damage and gives a slight problem to get the film off the sprocket.

I always stop the projector as the tail of the film nears the sprocket. Then manually inch through the last few inches until the film leaves the sprocket. Then I switch the motor on to complete the film on to the take-up spool.

This does not happen with the Slimline models as they have larger diameter sprockets.

Comment

Thanks Maurice. That sounds like a very likely observation. It just needs one sprocket hole to catch on one of the teeth and thats that. I suppose the curve/ thickness of the film will dictate this happening. I did not know that the slimline models had a redesign in this area.

Comment

It's the same problem with 9.5 versions of the elf.
        I came up with dont feed the end of a film into the reel slot and carefully pop your finger above the top sprocket at the film leaves the reel end.
        The film tends to curl over and flap into the sprocket otherwise.
        🙊

Comment

Thanks Lee. I will give that a go next time!

Comment

Working...
          X