Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with an Ampro Projector

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum after some searching and it looks to be the perfect place for film and equipment chat! I'm based in the UK and have 2x Ampro projectors, the first being a New Educational model, this looks the same as the stylist but runs on UK 240v Mains. The second I have, which I will be writing about is a 1940's (guessing) Amprosound that is a real project that I have started.

Unfortunately it was damaged in transit to me and the side cover of the lamp house has shattered, so I will be looking for a replacement for this. I decided to still go ahead with repairs and pull out the amplifier for checking over. I was met with a lot of missing parts which was a bit defeating. It has no valves, the smoothing block capacitors are missing and the oscillator coil has also dissapeared, along with the shield that covers the valves from the rest of the amp circuitry.

I'm going to go ahead and repair it anyway, I know of someone who could make me a coil up to replace the missing one and everything else is 'off the shelf' so they should be easy enough to obtain.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on these projectors? To me they look to be quite good quality, especially the amplifier which is very well designed, threading is a bit more complicated than other projectors but other than that it looks to be a nice machine.

I have an Amprosound Stylist New Educational which is a great single case model. It's unusual for a sound projector as the motor's speed can be varied. It's very important to keep the curved slide scrupulously clean.

I assume the older model is the Amprosound Premier-20 with a separate transformer as it works on 105-125 volts AC. It dates from about 1947. Click for picture.

https://van-eck.net/img/itable/image...6791035802.jpg

Maurice

Comment

Yes I bought the New Educational for its size and I can easily tuck it away. I found the adjustable speed feature quite unusual too, especially as it doesn't have exact markers for silent and sound, just lettering that lets you know you are in the right area! I'm currently repairing the amp on this one too. It works but there isn't a huge amount of volume, upon inspection I found the HT voltage to be over 120v down so I am replacing the Silicon disc rectifiers to restore the voltage and just change a few capacitors for reliability.

The other is indeed a 110v model, but it is not a premier 20. The model/serial number starts with YSA so I wonder if this is the model number? It has the same amp as the simplex ampro model, 3x 6v6, 5z4 etc A shame it was damaged but I hope to find the necessary parts to refurbish it.

Comment

Bren

Oldtimer Cameras have an instruction manual for the YSA, it carries a date of 1940. It seems that the Amprosound models kept the same design through various models until about 1950 or so.

https://www.camera-manual.com/model/...a-manual-15962

Maurice

Comment

Working...
        X