Added a new ELF to the fleet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added a new ELF to the fleet!

I recently purchased an ELF NT1. I believe this to be an earlier version, as I note that some have a different design of lamp house. I have serviced it as much as I can, with the entire thing deeply cleaned inside and out, so that there is no dirt, dust or old oil anywhere to be seen, and the paintwork polished so now it is spotless. It was operational when I got it but it was in desperate need of some maintenance and had a few squeeks etc, but now runs and sounds silky smooth indeed. This is the first auto thread ELF I’ve used and it works with no effort...very pleasing to see. One modification I did make was to add a 3.5mm audio line out socket. Interestingly the machine came from a local film collector, but not our type of film collector. In this case he only collected films connected with his favourite film franchise, “Planet of the Apes”, and on any other format, as well as other memorabilia connected with it.

I now have 3 16mm projectors so I think I’m sorted out now, as I’m able to service the 2 ELFs (NT1, RM2) and have a B&H 1698 with a new worm drive. When the B&H mechanically fails, or I run out of the supply of EMM bulbs I have, then the ELFs will keep me going. Although the B&H has a 25mm lens I do need the same for the ELFs as they only have a 38mm currently.
    Attached Files

Nice looking projector Martin! Great job on the restoration too.

Comment

Very popular machines Martin, they seem very reliable and run pretty good, some run quieter than others and give a good solid picture, should last you for many years, Mark

Comment

Martin

A word of advice. Keep an eye on the top sprocket when a film comes to an end.

Often, when the last inches of a film leave the top sprocket, and before entry to the gate, it may roll back around the auto-thread assembly and get caught. It's then a devil of a job to get it all off.

When I use these model Elfs I stop the motor as the film nears the sprocket. Then I use the inching knob to advance the film clear of the sprocket. Now I turn on the motor for the film to happily reach the take-up spool.

Comment

Thanks very much Janice and Mark for your kind comments!

Thanks Maurice for that tip. I will keep a look out for that. Incidentally, regarding a similar thing on the RM2 that was discussed a few weeks ago, I have taken up Lee's suggestion of having my finger placed by the top sprocket to prevent the film from catching on it when leaving the supply spool. It seems to have worked, and possibly it could be applied to the NT. I have not used the NT much so far to have experience of this, but thanks for the warning!

Comment

Martin
            It probably depends on the amount of "curl" of the last few inches of film. Something like having been stored on a 400ft spool with a small centre.
            The problem does not exist with the later Slimline models as these have larger diameter sprockets.

Comment

Working...
            X